Reviews On Wilton Buttercream

Baking By Pearl645 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm by sweetcakesbyjen

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:40am
post #1 of 22

Hey all icon_smile.gif

I have been using Wilton's basic buttercream recipe for 2 years now.

It works well as a crusting BC but I can't help but wonder what reviews you CC decorators have received from clients and friends.

Do you like Wilton's basic BC recipe or do you have a better one that you and everyone raves about?

If yes, kindly could you share links to better BC recipes.

Looking for something new. Just a basic vanilla BC recipe that I can change flavourings and get different BC flavours.

21 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:08am
post #2 of 22

I haven't used the Wilton recipe for eleven years. I was given a recipe from a cake decorator and have used it ever since. It crusts nicely and has no meringue powder in it. I use 2 pounds powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups Hi ratio shortening, 1/2 cup salted butter, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla and 1/3 cup water. Frost, let crust for 10 to 15 minutes and smooth with a paper towel.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 22

try Indydebi's!

cakesbybeccam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybeccam Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 22

I stopped using Wiltons because it has butter in it. Wiltons didn't hold up well with my summer cakes, they would look greasy and the frosting would melt. I now use Indydebi's recipe. It tastes great and it is a crusting butter cream.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 22

I use the same recipe as sweetreat but with minor changes. 2 Kg icing sugar, 1/2 tablespoon meringue powder, 1 1/4 cup hi ratio shortening, 1/2 cup butter, 2 tablespoons Watkins clear vanilla, 3/4 tsp. each, clear butter flavour, and almond extract, and a pinch of fine popcorn salt. I don't really have a measured amount for water, I just add it bit by bit until I have the consistancy I want.
I found the recipe on another cake site some years ago and have adjusted it to my liking. The original recipe called for 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter, which I still do at times, especially on quick family cakes.

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I haven't used the Wilton recipe for eleven years. I was given a recipe from a cake decorator and have used it ever since. It crusts nicely and has no meringue powder in it. I use 2 pounds powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups Hi ratio shortening, 1/2 cup salted butter, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla and 1/3 cup water. Frost, let crust for 10 to 15 minutes and smooth with a paper towel.

Do you mix the shortening, butter and liquids first, and then add the powdered sugar? or just dump it all in the bowl and mix together? I currently use Wilton and have great reviews with it, but am always looking for other options that are even better and hold up well. I like Sugarshacks icing on my cupcakes.

Pearl645 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 22

I use margarine instead of butter with the Wilton BC. When I 1st made buttercream with only butter it was very droopy and runny. It looked good but it didn't crust. I switched it for Wilton's BC. I cream the shortening and margarine for a while then add one cup of sifted powdered sugar at a time. Somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd cup I add in 2 tbsp of milk and essences as the BC starts to get very stiff. I find it's a very good consistency but I was looking to see what other CC people were raving about so thanks for sending Indydebi's BC recipe icon_smile.gif

Checking out sugarshacks icing now. The quantities are extremely large! Have you guys managed to scale it down accurately and get the same quality?

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 22

I used Wilton's buttercream recipe for a few years but was never truly happy with it. Once I tried Indydebi's recipe I have no desire to look further. It's easy, delicious, and holds up very well in humid and hot climates. ♥

Pearl645 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 22

Has anyone tried Indydebi's BC on cupcakes to frost them? I think I'm going to take everyone's advice and try this recipe this weekend. Yall have convinced me to try it! icon_smile.gif so thanks a lot.

I was concerned that Indydebi's BC recipe didnt have a butter flavour in it. I never made BC without that butter flavour. What do you guys think? Crisco and shortening tastes so good with PS and milk and dream whip? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif Just curious...

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 22

As far as I know, there is no reason you can't add Butter flavor to indydebi's recipe.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 22

Back when I only used Wilton because that's what I was comfortable with... I subbed out the almond flavor for butter flavor and caramel extract from Watkins. I also used a little extra milk and whipped the heck out of it, to make it easier for my poor carpal tunnel-ed hands to squeeze out the frosting. I used milk, and would add a dash of salt too.

My dad hates buttercream, but would eat mine without complaint. That's saying a lot, because he says that non-dairy whipped icing was invented for a reason. LOL! And one friend asked if she could have the leftover icing in a bowl with a spoon, every time I made a cake.

I have now branched out. Indydeb's is good. IMBC just got played with for the first time and I plan to use it more often now as circumstances allow. I also have a different buttercream from my book "The Whimsical Bakehouse" that one of my sister's friends said tastes like "toasted marshmallow-y goodness!", the shortening buttercream, not the italian meringue one. Just depends on the cake and what I want to do with it!

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 22

Indydebi's recipe is fabulous on cupcakes. I like to personally add about 1/2 tsp of butter flavoring and a few shakes of salt in w/ the original recipe.

n_jean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n_jean Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 22

I just made the Indi?? the one you guys are talking about yesterday and it is amazing!!! I guess I dont like the butter flavor anyway. If you are wanting butter flavor though, just add that instead of vanilla... I know that I will never use another bc recipe. I kept playing with it until I found one!

sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 22

I cream the shortening and butter together and add the remaining ingredients. I don't like the artificial butter flavoring it tastes and smells funny.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks, sweettreat! I am glad to know that I am not crazy in thinking that the artificial butter flavoring smells bad as well. I thought maybe it was just me. I usually use butter crystals, but I ran out on my last few cakes and have had to use the liquid until I can get more crystals. I am gonna give your recipe a try this weekend. Thanks again!

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:26am
post #16 of 22

Butter crystals? Do tell!

macie2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macie2011 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 6:19am
post #17 of 22

I use the recipe that Wilton used to use for their classes.
You sift 3 lbs of powered sugar and mix it with 1 1/2 cups of crisco. Add 1 tsp of salt and 2-3 tsp vanilla extract. Then you slowly add 2/3 cup of water. It's a lot better than the newer recipe.

sweettreat101 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 7:15am
post #18 of 22

Never heard of butter crystals.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:52am
post #19 of 22

Well, here is the story about how I came to use this...A couple of years ago, my parents and I took a day trip to a town a few towns away. On the way home, we passed a little shop that advertised for candies and I don't remember what else, but something made us stop. Inside, she had lots of different baking/cooking foods. I got to talking to the owner, and she asked me if I used butter in my icing. I told her no, and she suggested a product, Butterarome Crystals, to add to my icing to get some of that butter flavor. I took it home and tried it. It was really good. It's not an overwhelming taste and gives just enough of an extra flavor besides using just vanilla, and (in my mind) cuts down on the greasy feel of the all-shortening I use for icing.

I have never seen it anywhere else, but then I've never really looked for it. I am in desperate need of more, but I cannot justify driving the 1+ hour to get just some of that, so I need to call and see if they ship. If anyone is interested in possibly trying it, I will let you know if they do in fact ship.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:35am
post #20 of 22

I googled Butterarome Crystals and nothing came up in a language I could read. It must not be very well known in America yet.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:54am
post #21 of 22

The Wilton recipe I used in the past doesn't have the butter, but all crisco. They changed it several times over the years. I made sure I used something besides Wilton flavoring in it. I can't stand Wilton flavorings. If you are willing to try something new, try Sugarshacks or Indydebi's

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #22 of 22

I tried to Google it last night too, to see if there was somewhere else I could buy it, but also found nothing.
And, I called the shop today, but they don't carry it anymore. Super bummed, but she is going to send me a sample of a butter emulsion that she carries in it's place. I have never tried using an emulsion, so we will see. Still definitely going to try sweettreat's recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%