Was My Quote Out Of Line?

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 9:54pm by Janellevg

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:50am
post #1 of 20

A customer sent me this cake picture a few weeks back and I quoted it at $250. She wanted the cake but wanted to keep it under $100 preferably under $75. I stuck to my guns, I thought is was worth the money. Was I out of line?
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1280120

19 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 20

Well, wouldn't you want a 3-D cake for $75? I do not sell cakes, so I can not advise as to the price except to say that you charge what you are worth. If your skills are beginner, intermediate, or professional I would charge supplies plus talent. I know that is not how it is suppose to be, but that is what I would do.

cureVHAandCF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cureVHAandCF Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:04am
post #3 of 20

That's a lot of work and fondant! I'd say you were about right! icon_smile.gif

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 20

i thought ur quote was good

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:11am
post #5 of 20

Your quote was great. I wouldn,t do it for any less. That shows a lot of work.

cakelady2266 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:27am
post #6 of 20

This particular customer sends me pictures from sites like Pink Cake Box and expects the same cake for under $50. She just kept on with this one thinking she would wear me down. I am so over this "but I want this but don't want to pay much for it and I really would like it for free because I'm entitled" attitude.

It not that I can't do the cake or that I don't want to put in the time, but I'm damn sure gonna get paid the price I set or I won't do it. Enough with the haggling.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:27am
post #7 of 20

You were totally right! Don't compromise because at the end of the day, you will feel like you and your skills were taken advantage of! icon_biggrin.gif

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #8 of 20

That cake would require alot of work, I think she would have gotten the better end of the deal with your quote, so she should be lucky to get a cake like that for $250.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:42am
post #9 of 20

I totally agree with everyone that you quoted a fair price. Good for you for sticking to your guns! I can't imagine working on a cake while the whole time thinking that I've been ripped off by a customer talking me down on a price. That would really suck.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #10 of 20

A very wise (and successful caterer) friend of mine once told me "no one will value your work until YOU value your work" Good job sticking to your guns!

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #11 of 20

That cake is worth every penny and if not even more,dont feel bad, I was told by a very seasoned retired decorator last week, you can never charge enough! Good for you for sticking to your guns icon_smile.gif

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:09am
post #12 of 20

I too have people send me pics from here and the Pink Cake Box, and many other professional bakeries! I do this for friends, relative, co-workers-as a hobby. I only get compensated for supplies, not my time-which hubby doesn't like, but I know can't-because I'm at home. But people expect me to be able to do the work of a professional bakery-knowing I'm not gonna charge a lot. Kinda aggrivating-especially when it starts out as "I just need a simple cake"-yea right-if it's that simple why can't you carve that monkey?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #13 of 20

Good grief...the person that made this made her own mold...and it apparently can serve up to 80 people! Even if you charged just a $1 a serving that would still be 'over her budget'! I think $300 is more in line what with the carving and the detail and fondant. Nice that she sends Pink Cake Box pictures but expects Walmart prices. You did the right thing. thumbs_up.gif

AnnieCakes16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCakes16 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 20

$250 is a great quote for that!! so much work to do on it

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 20

No way you were going to charge too little. A friend told me once and I will always remember..some people can afford your cakes, and some people can't. Period.

That cake is worth at LEAST that.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:47pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

It not that I can't do the cake or that I don't want to put in the time...

I think your quote is perfect & I have seen your work, there's no question that you could do it. You've got talent. Hang in there.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:59pm
post #17 of 20

IMO even $250 is too low, that cake looks very labor-intensive.

When customers ask for complicated designs and they question the price, we discuss the estimated labor required for the cake (labor is usually the largest cost component). Once they realize that a certain cake will take 4, 6, or 8 hours to complete instead of the 30 minute timeframe they assume from watching TV shows they understand why our prices are higher than they expect.

If a customer's budget is unrealistic based on what they want, we do our best to work with them and suggest a simpler cake. Giving the customer distinct options (e.g. a simple cake for $100 or a complicated cake for $400) automatically heads off any attempt to negotiate to get more for less.

cakelady2266 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:39pm
post #18 of 20

Well she finally decided to go with a sheet cake that has a drawing on it. At one point I suggested she try other bakers and bakeries to see if they could do it cheaper. She wanted the cake from me but she had spent SO much on the party already that the cake would have to cost under $100. I say if the cake is that important to you, budget it first and then work the rest of the party with what left over.

I made it very clear that I was not having money taken out of my pocket (that puts food in my kids mouths) so she could impress her friends with a cake.

Saying no has never felt so good.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:07pm
post #19 of 20

Good job! So glad it worked out and that you still get to make her cake.

Janellevg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janellevg Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:54pm
post #20 of 20

I agree! It's worth at least that... she would not find anyone else to do it cheaper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%