How Do I Transport A 4 Tier Stacked Cake?

Decorating By KimErskine Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm by Jess155

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #1 of 10

Help, I'm doing a wedding style 50th anniversary cake for Saturday. Its going to start with a 14 inch, then 12, then 10 then 6 inch. I have a 16 inch covered heavy board for it. My question is should I go ahead and complete the cake and put a dowel down the center and transport entire cake or transport in layers and stack and complete on site? This is my first large cake and really want to make a good impression. TY

9 replies
SugarOnTop27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarOnTop27 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:10am
post #2 of 10

I would not try to transfer a 4 tier cake cause i would be soo nervous that someone would pull out in front of me and make the cake fall. I always put the cakes in boxes and get to the venue early so i can finish it there. The night before I make the flowers or what ever needs to go on the cake with fondant or gum paste.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:16am
post #3 of 10

I have transported a 4 tier 40 miles away - as long as all the layers are properly supported and doweled through the center, it's ok. but if you feel comfortable assembling it there, go for it. That's about as high as I can fit in my car though and about as heavy as I can lift by myself -so I always say one more tier and I either need to borrow a car or assemble on site icon_smile.gif

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:25am
post #4 of 10

I just did my biggest, heaviest cake a couple of weeks ago, and only stacked the first two (also 12 & 10) on a 18 inch board. That was so heavy, I couldn't imagine carrying all 4 tiers!! As much as I didn't want to stack and decorate at the reception site, I'm SO glad I did! Also, the reception site made me park in the back, which made the the distance to walk twice as far! They did get a cart for me, though. Good luck, whatever you decide to do! I tried to attach a picture of the cake I did, but if you look at my photos, it's the 4 tier square offset wedding cake with roses and gold ribbon.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

I stand corrected - mine was actually a 10, 9, 8 and 6 it's the pink and white princess theme in my pictures - so not a 12 inch on the bottom and honestly, it was about as heavy as I could have went carrying it by myself. If I had to do what you were doing I would do it on site!

KimErskine Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:44am
post #6 of 10

OK everyone is being so helpful, maybe I can do the bottom2 then the top 2 and assemble them on site. Then I'm only carrying in 2 pieces and not as much to put together on site. My husband will be helping so I have a little muscle. What do you all think?

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:49am
post #7 of 10

I think that's a good idea. Even with help 4 tiers is heavy. SPS is still a good idea, please of mind.

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:51am
post #8 of 10

That's what I did! My husband came and helped, but I chose to carry the two tiers. Maybe it's a control thing, but I felt responsible and chose to carry the two stacked tiers, positioning my arms as support underneath the board. My husband carried the two separate tiers, opened doors, and moved my car for me while I stacked and decorated the other two tiers. It went very smoothly and was so pleased. I'll be praying for you!

KimErskine Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:52am
post #9 of 10

Wonder if they have a portable tray cart? That sure would come in handy.. LOL

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 10

I just transported a stacked 6 tier (the top 6" was a dummy) using SPS. It was perfect! It was heavy! My DH and I could lift in and out of the vehicle and short distances. At the venue, we borrowed a food cart to take it where it needed to be. SPS is the best!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%