Ice Cream Wedding Cake Help Please!! :)

Decorating By kimkake Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 2:14am by lilmissbakesalot

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #1 of 6

I have to do a wedding cake that needs to be an ice cream cake. I plan on lining sheet pans with wax paper and popping them out for slicing. Has anyone done this before for a wedding in large quantities??
I would also love to know a good recipe for ice cream cake - I am thinking a thin layer of choc. cake - vanilla ice cream - a layer of ganache - and then another thin layer of choc. cake. Does this sound right??
If anyone has experience with this or has a good recipe - I would love to hear from you!!
Thanks so much in advance!

5 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:33am
post #2 of 6

Wow- hard to decorate a melting cake. They are giving up the "centerpiece" aspects of the cake? icon_confused.gif

Any sturdy cake will work.

Can you just get them to go with a cool cake and form heart or star ice cream shapes to serve with the cake(cut slices, recut with cookie cutter, wax paper to divide and freeze until serving)?

Serving a melting cake to a large party just sounds like trouble... especially when you add the "photo opp" time and ceremony of it.

kimkake Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 6

There's going to be a "dummy" cake for everyone to see. These are just like "kitchen cakes" for serving purposes. They will be pulled right from the freezer - sliced into slabs and served - I hope all goes well. There will be a few practice runs with this first - my family won't mind! icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 6

Since you are talking about a kitchen cake - no problem! You can use your 3/4 sheet pans, line them with parchment. Work backwards since cake will be flipped out of the pan to serve and cut: first ice cream, fudge, cookie crumbs, thin ayer of cake (any flavor) whipped cream. One thing I will suggest: if you make your own ganache make sure it is not too thick because when it freezes it is too hard and is not easy to cut (my experience).

Also: You may want to charge more (than a traditional cake) because you'll be surprised at how much ice cream packs in - the price really adds up.

I've done this many times and it works out just fine - and it is easily customizable to the flavors the bride/groom desire.

kimkake Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:37am
post #5 of 6

Thanks bakingpw - I took that into consideration - I actually priced it quite a bit higher thinking she would change her mind to regular cake! icon_smile.gif But they really want it and now it's actually turning out to be a fun experience!!
I'm excited to try the flavors and I hadn't thought of cookie crumbs in there - would you use oreos?
That was actually another one of my questions you answered - if I could use regular ganache - or if I had to purchase fudge ice cream topping.
I will try a test run and make sure the ganache stays soft enough.
thanks!!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:14am
post #6 of 6

Hopefully you are charging them for the dummy cake too on top of the cost of the ice cream kitchen cakes.

icon_biggrin.gif

Other than that, an ice cream wedding cake would be right up my alley. Way better than regular cake (to eat anyway)... LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%