Mailing A Cake? Anyone Done This Before?

Lounge By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 8:25pm by imagenthatnj

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 3

So I live in RI and have a family member who lives in WA State. She wants me to do a Sweet 16 cake for her daughter, and wants me to "Mail" it.

Is this even possible? I am thinking a cake would get completely destroyed in shipping!

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Amanda

2 replies
rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 3

I only have experience in preparing the fondant flowers and then mailing the flowers. My best friend had a lady prepare a small, basic, square two tier cake in her hometown area and then my flowers were to be put on the cake. I can tell you this: just shipping the flowers overnight was extremely expensive. Damp, winter weather meant I had to ship over night and make sure someone was around to accept delivery. I did not check into the costs because I thought "It can't cost that much for this small, light box." Fed Ex and UPS both wanted over $150 for less than three pounds shipped overnight. The entire wedding cake cost was less than that. I found a sympathetic company that would send the box of flowers for $70 - but still more than I originally thought.

With all that being said, be sure to check into the expense before committing to the arrangement! I hope others will have better news for you. Good luck!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%