Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Quote:

I don't get why they have to try EVERYthing...I mean really, if your cheesecake is awesome, she should be thankful for that and just assume your cuppies are good, too!

Never been to a restaurant where you have one thing that is really good and then try something else only to find out they don't do it so well? She should be thankful for all the work that went into the first tasting (and from the tenor of the post it seems like she is). Why does that mean she should not request another tasting and just take it on faith (especially if she is going to be charged for it)?

Cake is not cheesecake and simply because the client liked the cheesecake does not mean she would like the cupcakes. In all likelihood she will, but given that tastings are the way that clients select cake businesses, it seems only natural for her to request a tasting. IDK from the post it does not appear the individual is being troublesome by requesting a cupcake tasting.

At the same time...if I take a group to a restaurant, I don't get to taste everything on the menu before buying dinner...

True but that is not the protocol for restaurants. Tastings are how individuals decide who makes their wedding cake. So a client is locked in to everything else they make based on tasting one item? If that is the case then why not simply offer a basic cake yellow cake with buttercream? If they like it they should like everything else?

If the individual is gladly willing to pay for the tasting (and are being civil, cordial, nice, or whatever term works here) I don't see them as being unreasonable, burdensome because they opted to go in a different direction (if based on cost) and want to know that by going this new direction this is still the best person for them.

I agree if they are willing to pay for it....

Funny though...I recently had my first customer "discover" that its a cheap way to get a birthday cake if they just order a "tasting cake". haha. Although I'm not letting them get away with it...I'm selling them ONE (no more, though she wanted them for all her kids) and without writing, as she originally requested. icon_smile.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:59pm
post #32 of 38

I have no problem with someone wanting to taste more flavors than the ones we offer at the complimentary tasting. Although I really don't understand why tasting the exact flavor of cake is necessary- but whatever, I don't mind baking up a second set of samples for that. My issue is the ones who get an attitude with me about paying for the second tasting. So I have already provided you with FREE cupcakes to try for the first tasting, sat with you for an hour and given personalized, custom service to you in your consultation. And you want to get pissy when I don't happily give you MORE free cake?? I run a business, I can't afford to give someone unlimited samples of cake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:01am
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMaster2009

I have no problem with someone wanting to taste more flavors than the ones we offer at the complimentary tasting. Although I really don't understand why tasting the exact flavor of cake is necessary- but whatever, I don't mind baking up a second set of samples for that. My issue is the ones who get an attitude with me about paying for the second tasting. So I have already provided you with FREE cupcakes to try for the first tasting, sat with you for an hour and given personalized, custom service to you in your consultation. And you want to get pissy when I don't happily give you MORE free cake?? I run a business, I can't afford to give someone unlimited samples of cake.

I want to add that I'm more likely to be easier with samples once I already have a deposit. Without a deposit, what's to stop the person from taking off with all your free samples and going with another bakery? So really, its not our job to provide them with a ton of free samples...just enough to assure them we have good cake, and from there, they have to buy additional tastings.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:19am
post #34 of 38
Quote:

I want to add that I'm more likely to be easier with samples once I already have a deposit. Without a deposit, what's to stop the person from taking off with all your free samples and going with another bakery? So really, its not our job to provide them with a ton of free samples...just enough to assure them we have good cake, and from there, they have to buy additional tastings.

Exactly! The issue I had with this potential customer is that she had yet to pay a deposit or commit in any way. Had she went ahead and paid the deposit with us, I would have probably been more likely to just give her some RVCC to try.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 1:34pm
post #35 of 38

The caterer whom I work with just had a bride whom has had a full tasting with her for food and me with cake just call, the bride wanted to know if she could come in to taste the dinner rolls and drinks that will be served as they were not at the tasting. ( drinks will be iced tea..real not instant, water, and lemonade) oh and she wants it for free. Seriously a tasting for bread and drinks. Our time is valuable and while it would not cost much in materials for the tasting, our time would have been waited and materials trying to make just one serving of tea and lemonade plus try to make just a dinner roll from scratch and not a full tray, we will not be doing the free tasting...brides just want everything for free and think that the world revolves around them..she also wanted the tasting on July 4th because that's when she had off of work.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 2:32pm
post #36 of 38

I met with a bride on Saturday who tried the 4 sample cakes I had for the weekend, then at the end she asked if I could have another tasting for her in August, and with the flavors they wanted, so her fiance could be there. My opinion is that she should have brought him the first time, and paid the extra money to get the exact flavors she wanted to sample.

Her first 50% down is due before that tasting (like 3 weeks before it), and she's a 300 serving bride. I'm not charging her for it. I realize I could, but it's a really really nice order that I would like to have on the books. So asking nicely and having a good size order both play a part icon_smile.gif

BUT I have had 50 cupcake brides want to sample 10 flavors before they decided, and I will happily do it for a fee.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

The caterer whom I work with just had a bride whom has had a full tasting with her for food and me with cake just call, the bride wanted to know if she could come in to taste the dinner rolls and drinks that will be served as they were not at the tasting. ( drinks will be iced tea..real not instant, water, and lemonade) oh and she wants it for free. Seriously a tasting for bread and drinks. Our time is valuable and while it would not cost much in materials for the tasting, our time would have been waited and materials trying to make just one serving of tea and lemonade plus try to make just a dinner roll from scratch and not a full tray, we will not be doing the free tasting...brides just want everything for free and think that the world revolves around them..she also wanted the tasting on July 4th because that's when she had off of work.

Oh good lord...sometimes people can be dense. If she's off on the 4th why would she expect other people to not be off as well? And for a dinner roll? Come on!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:01pm
post #38 of 38

I do my tastings differently. I offer up to three cake and three filling flavors in addition to a sample of my buttercream and fondant if they're interested in that. I ask them what flavors they're interested in and give them that. Most know what they want and some only want to taste one or two flavors. I use little 4" cakes and small filling samples. If they don't eat it all, I let them put the rest of the fillings in the cakes, wrap it up and take it home.

I don't charge for tastings and it seems to work out for me. Of all the tastings I've done, I've only had three or four brides who didn't book. I think the personalized service helps me get the bookings.

P.S. The only response I'd bother with would be, "Thank you for letting me know. Good luck with your celebration." In actuality, I probably wouldn't respond and I certainly would not apologize.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%