Fluffy White Icing

Decorating By ellers Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 3:12am by LindaF144a

ellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellers Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 2

I tried this frosting because I hate crisco and need dairy free so butter won't work. It came out great but I was wondering if anyone had ever used it to frost a cake and if it would hold or would it separate....

Here's the recipe:

2 large egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
1/4 cup water plus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon corn syrup

Combine all ingredients in bowl of standing mixer or large heatproof bowl and set over medium saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water (do not let bottom of bowl touch water). Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture registers 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and transfer mixture to standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and continue to beat until mixture has cooled to room temperature and stiff peaks form, 5 minutes longer.

1 reply
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #2 of 2

That sounds like 7 minute frosting to me. Try researching that kind of frosting, I think you will find what you want then.

Also consider trying Spectrum Shortening. It is found in the organic section of more super markets. It is Palm Oil based where Crisco is Soybean based. It tastes different in frosting and whips up nice and fluffy. It is also transfat free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%