Help!

Decorating By galliesway Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 11:04pm by BlakesCakes

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 6

I had the worst time last weekend with my buttercream not crusting!! I have tried both Indydebi's & Sugarshack's recipes both of which I love!! It was hot and humid which I know plays a huge role. I use the WASC recipes primarily could this also be the culprit? I live in N IL and have an older home but I had the A/C on to help combat the humdity. I tried adding more PS but then it was pulling the cake apart! I tried searching and googling this topic. I did not refrigerate or freeze the cake. Would a dehumidifier help?? I have a graduation cake I am making for my niece coming up and would to fight and have a mess in the end. My fondant seemed wimpy also. Any and all advice appreciated!!

Kelly

5 replies
1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

I had the worst time last weekend with my buttercream not crusting!! I have tried both Indydebi's & Sugarshack's recipes both of which I love!! It was hot and humid which I know plays a huge role. I use the WASC recipes primarily could this also be the culprit? I live in N IL and have an older home but I had the A/C on to help combat the humdity. I tried adding more PS but then it was pulling the cake apart! I tried searching and googling this topic. I did not refrigerate or freeze the cake. Would a dehumidifier help?? I have a graduation cake I am making for my niece coming up and would to fight and have a mess in the end. My fondant seemed wimpy also. Any and all advice appreciated!!

Kelly

I don't think the WASC cake had anything to do with your BC not crusting. It could have been several things...mixing time, old powdered sugar, humidity, etc.

Both recipes I have tried and they just haven't resulted in what I want in a buttercream. Both taste great, but consistency has always been an issue for me with these recipes. I ended up using a recipe I found online and it has yet to fail me. Here it is if you want to try it:

----------------------------------------------
Simple Buttercream

8 cups of powder sugar
1 cup high ratio shortening or sweetex
1 cup butter unsalted
2 tablespoon clear vanilla
1 tablespoon clear butter extract
1/2 cup of milk

Mix shortening and butter together for 5 minutes on speed 1
Add powder sugar 1 cup at time, continue mixing on low speed
Add milk, vanilla and butter flavoring, continue to mix
-----------------------------------------------

I have used flavored creamer instead of milk which resulted in a very creamy smooth buttercream that still crusted. The flavor creamer that gives this buttercream a hit is CreamMate Italian Sweet Cream. Talk about YUM!

As for your fondant...which brand are you using or is it homemade MMF?

dulcearoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcearoma Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6

Sounds good, but I was wondering what is high ratio shortening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cake-At-ATime

Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

Kelly

I don't think the WASC cake had anything to do with your BC not crusting. It could have been several things...mixing time, old powdered sugar, humidity, etc.

Both recipes I have tried and they just haven't resulted in what I want in a buttercream. Both taste great, but consistency has always been an issue for me with these recipes. I ended up using a recipe I found online and it has yet to fail me. Here it is if you want to try it:

----------------------------------------------
Simple Buttercream

8 cups of powder sugar
1 cup high ratio shortening or sweetex
1 cup butter unsalted
2 tablespoon clear vanilla
1 tablespoon clear butter extract
1/2 cup of milk

Mix shortening and butter together for 5 minutes on speed 1
Add powder sugar 1 cup at time, continue mixing on low speed
Add milk, vanilla and butter flavoring, continue to mix
-----------------------------------------------

I have used flavored creamer instead of milk which resulted in a very creamy smooth buttercream that still crusted. The flavor creamer that gives this buttercream a hit is CreamMate Italian Sweet Cream. Talk about YUM!

As for your fondant...which brand are you using or is it homemade MMF?

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 6

High ratio shortening has a higher fat content. You can use crisco too and have good results. The original recipe called for crisco, but I changed (to save in my Cake Boss software) it to high ratio since that's what I mostly use.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 6

As far as fondant, I was using both Fondx & Satin Ice. I was mixing it with tylose for accents and also trying cut with my Cricut. I will give that recipe a try. Thanks you!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 6

I'm sure it was just the humidity, as both of those recipes is a crusting BC.

Sugar is hygroscopic. It actually attracts water. If the room is humid, it's a curse.

Icing can't crust well in a humid room. Some people recommend adding 2TBSP of cornstarch per 3 cups/1lb. of icing recipe. I haven't tried it--probably won't hurt, might help.

And yes, a dehumidifier will definitely help. Our A/C does dehumidify and my climate is dry in the winter.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%