Gumpaste Calla Lilies? Buying And Coloring

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 2:02am by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake for a friend in August. Three tiers, quilted ivory fondant (not that that's relevant). She wants gumpaste calla lilies (as I didn't want to use real flowers since they are poisonous). My issue is that she wants purple and orange callas. I don't want to make them myself since there will be quite a on top of the cake and cascading down the side plus I have a newborn baby also. I have looked for sugar flowers to purchase but they are all white. Can I color them with petal dust? My concern is being able to get the color in the inside of the flower without getting it on the yellow center part. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, where is the best online retailer for sugar flowers? Thanks in advance for any input!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 6

www.avalondeco.com. I buy the vast majority of my gp flowers from David. (Say hi from me)

I wrap a piece of tape around the stamen, then airbrush.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6

Ah thank you! Wrapping tape around the stamen is a great idea. I will order from them.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 6

Well shoot. I was looking at the avalondeco website and it says they are only wholesalers who sell to businesses. I'm not a business yet. Any other suggestions for where to buy gumpaste calla lilies?? Thanks!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:02am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much! That site looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%