Holy Geez Valrhona Is Expensive

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 6:45am by megpi

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #1 of 20

Ok I know it's expensive, but although it's worth it (at least from a taste standpoint), and I've bought it twice (using the people who get my cakes to buy it for me in lieu of payment)...I think I need to re-think using it in my chocolate cake!

I FINALLY broke down the costs for my scratch recipes (well 2 of them anyway) and the cocoa powder accounts for $9.72-$15.36 of EACH recipe ($36 cc's), depending on if I buy it in bulk...holy icon_eek.gif

I know u think I'm adding incorrectly...but I used Scott Wholley's recipe which requires 1.5 c, so 6.6lb at $86 (incl shipping) is .81/oz...so $9.72/recipe..and that's the bulk price!

My vanilla cake is only $3.97/recipe (36 cc's?)

omg what was I thinking? I need to ad a hefty surcharge just for my choc cake...or start looking for cocoa brand alternatives...yeesh

19 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:09am
post #2 of 20

I know, I feel your pain. It's worth it's weight in gold though, and I use it as a staple in my chocolate buttercream.

tavyheather Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #3 of 20

I was hoping I wasn't the only crazy paying up the butt for it...

sigh icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:12am
post #4 of 20

Nope, crazy here too! icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 20

the things we do for love icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:20am
post #6 of 20

You got it! icon_biggrin.gif I get mine from NYCake -- where do you get yours from?

tavyheather Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:09am
post #7 of 20

Chefshop.com since I can't get hubby to sign off on a $90 bag of cocoa from worldwidechocolate.com icon_wink.gif

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:37am
post #8 of 20

I guess I am another crazy person. I adore Valrhona chocolate! I make a layer bavarian cake (which is a mousse that has been set with some gelatin) that is white chocolate on the bottom, milk chocolate in the middle and dark chocolate on the top. It is heavenly!!! I get mine from The Chef's Warehouse.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 20

Wow. Over here the cocoa costs $52.50 for the 3kg (6.6lb) bag. I guess you win some, you lose some! Satin Ice here costs an arm and a leg, for example, because of the high shipping charges involved I assume.
I haven't tried the cocoa yet, but LOVE the chocolates. So glad I have made the switch to Valrhona!

sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 20

you should try callebaut chocolate. cheaper but good as valrhona thumbs_up.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 20

It's the only chocolate I use!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Ok I know it's expensive, but although it's worth it (at least from a taste standpoint), and I've bought it twice (using the people who get my cakes to buy it for me in lieu of payment)...I think I need to re-think using it in my chocolate cake!

I FINALLY broke down the costs for my scratch recipes (well 2 of them anyway) and the cocoa powder accounts for $9.72-$15.36 of EACH recipe ($36 cc's), depending on if I buy it in bulk...holy icon_eek.gif

I know u think I'm adding incorrectly...but I used Scott Wholley's recipe which requires 1.5 c, so 6.6lb at $86 (incl shipping) is .81/oz...so $9.72/recipe..and that's the bulk price!

My vanilla cake is only $3.97/recipe (36 cc's?)

omg what was I thinking? I need to ad a hefty surcharge just for my choc cake...or start looking for cocoa brand alternatives...yeesh

8 ounces is in weight and you are talking about a cup and half. In my experience of weighing a cup of cocoa powder is that a cup weighs 3.9 ounces not 8. Based on that weight measurement, I get 4.74 for the same amount of cocoa powder. Assuming the same amount of cupcakes that is .13 per cupcake. If we, for grins, add that to the vanilla, it does take it to .24 per cupcake vs .11 per cupcake. But because cocoa is an extra ingredient, it would probably be better to price out the recipe with another cocoa powder rather than comparing it to a vanilla cake. Then you will be able to see the price difference while comparing a taste difference at the same time. It is a much better comparison than using a vanilla recipe.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:00am
post #13 of 20

I broke down and bought some from World Wide Chocolate, it is the best stuff! It is worth it!

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:16am
post #14 of 20

I use a very high quality cocoa from Penzyes spices. The taste is exactly like Valhrona but much cheaper. I pay about $7.95 per 1 lb.

www.penzeys.com

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:29am
post #15 of 20

I just decided to take a look at World Wide Chocolate since I've never used Valhrona and just saw that they are offering a 15% discount on Valhrona this week.
15% Off All Items with No Minimum Order.
Use Coupon Code: SPECIAL15
(Valid through June 13, 2011)
http://worldwidechocolate.com/shop_valrhona.html
I thought some of you might want to know. icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 20

I really don't think it's worth the price, honestly. It cuts into the margin way too much, or the price has to be too high to make your margin.

Personally, I use either Guittard or Albert Uster. They are just about as good in taste and are far more affordable.

tavyheather Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:34pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

8 ounces is in weight and you are talking about a cup and half. In my experience of weighing a cup of cocoa powder is that a cup weighs 3.9 ounces not 8. Based on that weight measurement, I get 4.74 for the same amount of cocoa powder. Assuming the same amount of cupcakes that is .13 per cupcake. If we, for grins, add that to the vanilla, it does take it to .24 per cupcake vs .11 per cupcake. But because cocoa is an extra ingredient, it would probably be better to price out the recipe with another cocoa powder rather than comparing it to a vanilla cake. Then you will be able to see the price difference while comparing a taste difference at the same time. It is a much better comparison than using a vanilla recipe.

I agree, but I don't have the bag anymore to weigh it or see how many cups are in it...I'm sure my numbers are way off but I wanted to get a rough idea.

So if you don't have a recipe that calls for weight vs. volume (oz/g vs. cup) how do you convert? do you change the entire recipe and it therefore evens itself out? I've heard going by weight is more accurate but I'm clueless as to how to take a recipe that says 1 c of this, 1 tsp of that, etc., and convert it all to weight...???

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 20

What I do for the products I use is weigh a cup of the product. So for cocoa powder I weigh it about 3-5 times and take an average of the amount. If I weight it three times and consistently get the same amount, then I know that is a good amount. The I multiply that amount by the amount needed for cups. Cocoa weighs 3.9 (close enough to say 4 ounces) and I need a cup and a half. Then 4 x 1.5 = 6 ounces of cocoa powder.

I don't bother for tsp measurements. I go by volume.

tavyheather Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:40pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

What I do for the products I use is weigh a cup of the product. So for cocoa powder I weigh it about 3-5 times and take an average of the amount. If I weight it three times and consistently get the same amount, then I know that is a good amount. The I multiply that amount by the amount needed for cups. Cocoa weighs 3.9 (close enough to say 4 ounces) and I need a cup and a half. Then 4 x 1.5 = 6 ounces of cocoa powder.

I don't bother for tsp measurements. I go by volume.

ooooooohhhh, makes sense. So u don't bother w/ tsp measurements and it doesn't create enough of an issue for u to convert those? I'm so trying this, TY for your explanation!

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:45am
post #20 of 20

I get my valrhona for home at a local store, surfas, a pound at a time for $12.95. Their bulk is even better at $68.95 for 6.6 lb (about $10.45 a lb). They also have a shop online for a lot of the stuff they carry at http://www.culinarydistrict.com, but I'm not sure what their shipping cost is like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%