Please Help With Seriouscakes' Yellow Cake!!

Baking By sweet_tooth_0710 Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 1:58am by caramelchef

sweet_tooth_0710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_tooth_0710 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:07am
post #1 of 4

Please HELP! I have a cake that I'm making for my nephew for tomorrow. I'm using Seriouscakes' yellow cake recipe. I'm sure someone out there knows what I'm talking about. Anyway... I let it cool and it just didn't feel right when I was about to torte it and I fould out it has a "layer" inside the cake that feels like hard jelly. I know, it's gross! So I am wondering is it the cake flour? Or is it undercooked? Please someone help me! The birthday boy really wants yellow cake and it looks as if I'm going to be pulling an all-nighter! Thank you

3 replies
gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:31am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_tooth_0710

Please HELP! I have a cake that I'm making for my nephew for tomorrow. I'm using Seriouscakes' yellow cake recipe. I'm sure someone out there knows what I'm talking about. Anyway... I let it cool and it just didn't feel right when I was about to torte it and I fould out it has a "layer" inside the cake that feels like hard jelly. I know, it's gross! So I am wondering is it the cake flour? Or is it undercooked? Please someone help me! The birthday boy really wants yellow cake and it looks as if I'm going to be pulling an all-nighter! Thank you

I have made this recipe a number of times and have never seen what you are describing. Only thing I can think of is the batter was not properly mixed. Did you make a sheet cake or multiple layers? If multiple layers was this in both layers?

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:46am
post #3 of 4

Did you use cake flour? It's supposed to be A/P flour.

caramelchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caramelchef Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:58am
post #4 of 4

It could be your oven, this has happened to me before and it was my oven that was the problem. I have a commercial oven and I find if I bake too long during the day the oven gives trouble.
The temperature drops and it doesn't reignite so the cake is left in an oven with almost no heat left and when you check the cake thinking its finished it has those jelly parts. It hasn't happened in months but I have seen the jelly thing you described.
I don't know about the recipe because I have never used it but I find this only happens with yellow cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%