Red Satin Ice For Uga Bulldawgs Cake??

Decorating By Beansss Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 12:03am by Beansss

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 4

Just wondering if this shade of red would work for the cake. Sometimes it's hard to tell from the computer. Or is there another brand that's better color wise? Trying to avoid coloring it myself if possible!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 4

I am not sure if i am going tobe of anyhelp but what shade of the red do you need. the satin ice red is very nice and very good to work with. It is not harsh and almost a christmas red. Not in the burgandy family at all just a nice clean red.

It is the red of severeal of the schools around here in ohio so I try to keep it on hand. ..just used the last of what I had and got yet another order for a cake on the 3rd.. go figure.

Good luck sorry I couldn't be of more help.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:02am
post #3 of 4

If you are covering a simple cake, not carved or shaped, Satin Ice will be fine. Their colors look good. Problem with Satin Ice is that it is not as good as it used to be. I can cover simple cakes with it but not shaped cakes. It tears and cracks when you mess with it too much. You also have to be quick or you get elephant skin. I use to love Satin Ice and used them religiously until last year. Now I'm trying to find a better fondant. Most of my cakes are sculpted and not easy to cover with fondant. Sorry, I strayed a little from your question icon_smile.gif

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:03am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

I am not sure if i am going tobe of anyhelp but what shade of the red do you need. the red is very nice and very good to work with. It is not harsh and almost a christmas red. Not in the burgandy family at all just a nice clean red.

It is the red of severeal of the schools around here in ohio so I try to keep it on hand. ..just used the last of what I had and got yet another order for a cake on the 3rd.. go figure.

Good luck sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thank you. I have the red satin ice, it's the UGA red color that I am unsure of. I showed hubby the fondant and he thinks it will work, but I'm still not sure...

BTW, I just tasted the fondant and it tasted bitter. Is that normal? What is the shelf life for satin ice? I can't remember exactly when I ordered it, I think it may have been October... Should I chuck it??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%