Agbay Schmagbay....

Decorating By chrisviz Updated 4 Aug 2013 , 10:17am by spookytookey

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:33pm
post #31 of 52

I have said more than once that I would still like to get an Agbay.. I am sure it is worth every penny. I am sure it is 100x better than what my husband made... which is crude, but worked. I was just excited to share what he slapped together in an afternoon for me when he was weaked out by Agbay's website. I certainly dont think it is worth anyone's panties getting bunched up when somone tries to come up with alternatives to professional tools.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:01pm
post #32 of 52

i agree, i only make 2 cakes a month but i'm so glad i bought my agbay! its a great investment and i think everyone should own it or something like it icon_biggrin.gif

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:08am
post #33 of 52

Since I am one of those who can't fit an Agbay into my budget right now, Fat Daddio's is the one I am going to order for a fraction of the price:

http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Products/Fat-Daddios-Professional-Cake-Leveler-20-Wide-x-7-High__CL-DLX.aspx

It gets great reviews everywhere I have read about it. I just saw that the above site shows it as currently out of stock, but it's offered by many suppliers.

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:28am
post #34 of 52

I gotta agree with LeahS, however, I don't think the OP is selling her version of the Agbay.

The only thing is that the title itself is discrediting to Mrs. Agbay and only because the OP couldn't afford one. That's like me saying the Cake Stackers is not worth it because I can't afford it....had I have the money, then my opinion would change. This is not fair to the business or their potential client base.

If you can't afford it, don't knock the product (not to mention you haven't even TRIED IT).

As for my personal experience with the product and website....the product is great and I really couldn't level cake the same without one. The way Mrs. Agbay conducted business with me changed the way I do business with my customers...

The website isn't as visibly appeasing as say Amazon, however, if you pay attention, you will see there are two processes to order: 1) via fax using the order form and 2) one via pay pal by invoice request. Quite simple if you ask me..but then again....I'm just a customer who needed the product and didn't care about website aesthetics.

That's my slice of cake.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:08am
post #35 of 52

My Agbay is my most treasured piece of equipment, I think.

I must have bought it 7 or 8 years ago... and it's still as good as the day I bought it.

Even with the shipping costs to the UK, it was worth it!!

I bet they'd sell LOADS if they took a stand at Cake International!!

http://www.ichf.co.uk/cake/

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:49pm
post #36 of 52

I would like to see the version your DH made. I think it would be interesting to see another version.

The Fat Daddio one is interesting. But do you have to use all three blades?

And the Agbay one looks good too. I love the cake on the front page, it makes me want to make one, which means I won't without the Agbay!

I'm still on the fence. I need to make a decision soon.

ETA: regardless of the price, I believe the Agbay is the best way to go over Fat Daddio. I have the crappy Wilton one. I had cake disaster last week because it cut the cake unevenly, again! I think it is the feet on the Agbay that make all the difference. I'm ordering one today.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:55pm
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisviz

I have said more than once that I would still like to get an Agbay.. I am sure it is worth every penny. I am sure it is 100x better than what my husband made... which is crude, but worked. I was just excited to share what he slapped together in an afternoon for me when he was weaked out by Agbay's website. I certainly dont think it is worth anyone's panties getting bunched up when somone tries to come up with alternatives to professional tools.

I would still like to see your version. Agbay is a great tool, and I can afford it...just don't want it now. I still like to see ingenious tools. It's not like you're copying it to sell it. I can't believe people get wild about this stuff.

Someone made a cake pop roller and is selling it for close to $250 and that is an exact copy of a marzipan roller that they sell at pastrychef.com. And the same people who have a problem with your handmade tool, are buying that other roller.

And while we are on the subject of homemade tools. Here's two more in case you ever need them.

http://cakes.keyartstudio.com/tutorials/item/83-diy-multi-blade-ribbon-strip-cutter.html

http://cakes.keyartstudio.com/tutorials/item/87-diy-impression-mat-fondant-diamond-pattern-marker.html

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #38 of 52

I don't know why anyone would get upset about making a homemade leveler.

She's not calling it an Agbay. And I guarantee that someone, somewhere, thought of the EXACT desgin of the Agbay long before it was sold. No idea is ever new anymore.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:18pm
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

And while we are on the subject of homemade tools. Here's two more in case you ever need them.

http://cakes.keyartstudio.com/tutorials/item/83-diy-multi-blade-ribbon-strip-cutter.html

http://cakes.keyartstudio.com/tutorials/item/87-diy-impression-mat-fondant-diamond-pattern-marker.html

Thanks for posting these, these are great thumbs_up.gif

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:19pm
post #40 of 52

[quote="1Cake-At-ATime"]I gotta agree with LeahS, however, I don't think the OP is selling her version of the Agbay.

The only thing is that the title itself is discrediting to Mrs. Agbay and only because the OP couldn't afford one. That's like me saying the Cake Stackers is not worth it because I can't afford it....had I have the money, then my opinion would change. This is not fair to the business or their potential client base.

If you can't afford it, don't knock the product (not to mention you haven't even TRIED IT).

Excuse me... lets just clarify something, I never said I couldnt afford it and I clearly wasnt knocking the product. My husband set out to order it for me... even though I average 2 "real cakes" a year. Unfortunately he is a rather impatient man and thought the website sucked. He is however, very crafty.. I am sorry that some of you take yourselves so seriously and cannot take a joke.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:08pm
post #41 of 52

Wow, people - lighten up! She's not trying to sell the darn thing. She's just sharing some information that may be helpful to others.

Colorful-Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colorful-Bliss Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:48pm
post #42 of 52

Some poeple need to seriously read through a post 3 or 4 times before entering a reply. She said she was going to buy it. She's tried to explain her post over again..... sometimes seniority on a site doesn't always mean you're right.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:59pm
post #43 of 52

Aren't husbands wonderful? Mine is and yours sounds great too! If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture. My husband put weighted feet on my big Wilton slicer, but it is still a pain. I have a fund started for an abay. One day.... icon_razz.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:41pm
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mena2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Thanks for posting these, these are great thumbs_up.gif

Ditto!

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:12pm
post #45 of 52

I'd love to see a pic, too!

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:26pm
post #46 of 52

[quote="chrisviz"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cake-At-ATime

I gotta agree with LeahS, however, I don't think the OP is selling her version of the Agbay.

Excuse me... lets just clarify something, I never said I couldnt afford it and I clearly wasnt knocking the product. My husband set out to order it for me... even though I average 2 "real cakes" a year. Unfortunately he is a rather impatient man and thought the website sucked. He is however, very crafty.. I am sorry that some of you take yourselves so seriously and cannot take a joke.

Oh right, my bad...the title of the thread you created clearly indicates you were joking.

Didn't mean to misrepresent the obvious.

Happy leveling! icon_smile.gif

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:52pm
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful-Bliss

Some poeple need to seriously read through a post 3 or 4 times before entering a reply. She said she was going to buy it. She's tried to explain her post over again..... sometimes seniority on a site doesn't always mean you're right.

I totally agree. It seems you could start any topic, like "what color flowers to make", and it's going to end up with people being argumentative. I guess it's good for a laugh sometimes though...

Colorful-Bliss Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #48 of 52

Agreed Jason-Lisa. People enter a topic name to grab attention so people will read. For example the topic is customer was like "it's just a cake" and there are over 400 coments bashing a customer cause they say that. I mean we make cake they don't so NO they do not understand all the hours and hard work that gets put in. On the other hand you post "Ideas for a display" and you're lucky if you get 20 responses.......what does that say about us? SMH! We all have to remember we start from the bottom. We are all here because we love what we do.....at least I am.

Colorful-Bliss Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:24am
post #49 of 52

Agreed Jason-Lisa. People enter a topic name to grab attention so people will read. For example the topic is customer was like "it's just a cake" and there are over 400 coments bashing a customer cause they say that. I mean we make cake they don't so NO they do not understand all the hours and hard work that gets put in. On the other hand you post "Ideas for a display" and you're lucky if you get 20 responses.......what does that say about us? SMH! We all have to remember we start from the bottom. We are all here because we love what we do.....at least I am.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:51am
post #50 of 52

I have an Agbay, and I love it, but I still want to see a pic of the home-made leveler!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:37am
post #51 of 52

Chrisviz - you are a lucky lady to have such a wonderful and crafty husband! I gotta say that I'm all for saving money where you can. And as long as it's for you and you have no intention of profiting from it, then NO HARM. Please post a pic and instructions - obviously there are ALOT more of us on here that are interested in your hubby's invention than are critical for whatever reason. For me, if I can save money, I'm going that direction. That's how I got rich. LOL! Thanks again, Chrisviz!

spookytookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spookytookey Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 10:17am
post #52 of 52

Hi

My mom now sells Agbays in the UK, so you're shipping costs are reduced considerably than if you purchase yourself direct.

www.maryjoescupcakery.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mary-Joes-Cup-Cakery/249744938431814

Hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%