Seaweed On A Cake?!

Decorating By Alycat613 Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 12:53am by Alycat613

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 4

I had posted something before, but now cannot find my post!! So I am posting again!!
My friend asked me to make her daughter's birthday cake that is Ariel/Little Mermaid. She sent me this cake link as an inspiration for the cake. I have not done a lot of work with icing decorations so I guess I am just totally lost as to where to start. What type of tip would you use to do the seaweed, etc? Is this just normal icing? I tend to ice my cakes in a stiff buttercream and the smooth it so do I just use the same type of icing? Is it easy to get the thickness at the bottom and then thiness at the tops of the seaweed? Thank you for any help you can give me!!

http://www.vinchet.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=116

3 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 4

That's a 67 or 68 leaf tip done in long leaves. The 67 and 68 tips have that wonderful vein down the center but they are notorious for breaking ends. I would use a 352 leaf tip and do long leaves with shorter ones at the base -- very easy! icon_biggrin.gif

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 4

That looks like they strip the bag with some different shade of green and pipe a long and short leaf together with the big leaf tip. Sorry I couldn't remember the number of the tip. HTH icon_smile.gif

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:53am
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I am very nervous about this cake and want to make it perfect. I will be working on my icing skills between now and the end of July for this cake!!! Thanks again for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%