Can Fondant Covered Cakes Be Stored In A Fridge?

Decorating By qasehkucakes Updated 11 Jun 2013 , 5:06pm by Meganne

qasehkucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qasehkucakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:02am
post #1 of 8

I have tried and it failed me a few times..my fondant covered cakes get all sweaty after a whil e. As often watched on cake shows on tv, i observed that the covered cakes are put into a fridge before delivery..don't the cakes get all sweaty after a while when they are out from the fridge? Is there any specific fridge temperature / humidity requirement that would allow me to store and deliver the cakes in good shape?

Please please advice....thanx!

7 replies
HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:35am
post #2 of 8

I was always nervous about putting a fondant covered cake in the fridge, but I started doing it when I started working with SMBC. Now I chill all of my cakes, they are so much easier to work with! I do get a bit of "sweating", just don't touch the surface until it comes to room temp, the condensation evaporates... I've also read that storing the cake in a box will help because the cardboard will absorb the moisture.

I just store the cakes in my regular old frige (I'm just a hobby baker) but I saw a clip where Buddy explained that he has special refrigerators for the fondant cakes, so yes, I think you can adjust the temp and humidity to make it better for fondant cakes, I just don't know what those settings would be....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 8

Every cake taken out of every refrigerator will "sweat". It's a scientific phenomenon called condensation.

A cold item put in a warm room with measurable humidity will cause the water in the air to condense into water droplets that will cling to the cold item (the cake).

To prevent the condensation from forming, you need to have kept the warm air away from the item until the item comes to room temp. You can do this by boxing the cake & wrapping that in saran. Keep wrapped when coming to room temp. Remove from box. No (or very, very minimal) condensation.

Some commercial refrigerators are actually designed to be humid all of the time. Most home refrigerators are very dry.

Rae

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 8

I have stored a cake in the fridge when it is extremely hot and humid. Up until this spring we didn't have AC and I had to work at night with a fan just to keep things from melting and had to store any cakes in the fridge to keep them looking ok. As mentioned by others, just let the cake come to room temp before touching and the condensation will evaporate.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 8

I think also the difference between those that have success and those that don't depends on their climate.

For example, where I am today, my insulated (shouldn't sweat cup) is sweating. Lots of humidity here!! I can take a bottle of water out of the fridge and with in a few minutes he can have sweat beaded up and running off it.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 8

Blakescakes, so what you're saying is put the fondant covered cake in a box then wrap the box with saran wrap then allow to come to room temp? Sorry I just want to be sure because I'm doing a RV cake with cream cheese filling and covering with fondant. Because of the filling I'll have to keep the cake in the fridge which makes me very nervous when covered in fondant icon_sad.gif

Advice appreciated icon_smile.gif oh and I'm in FL hello heat and humidity lol

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:02am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Blakescakes, so what you're saying is put the fondant covered cake in a box then wrap the box with saran wrap then allow to come to room temp? Sorry I just want to be sure because I'm doing a RV cake with cream cheese filling and covering with fondant. Because of the filling I'll have to keep the cake in the fridge which makes me very nervous when covered in fondant icon_sad.gif

Advice appreciated icon_smile.gif oh and I'm in FL hello heat and humidity lol

Yes.

Rae

Meganne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meganne Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 8

AI had the same problem this weekend. I am new to the cake business. I did a vanilla cake with merengue BC and strawberry filling. I cover it with fondant and refrigerated it. When I took it to the reception it was sweating like crazy. I live in Montego Bay Jamaica so its very hot and to top it off the reception was at the sea side. The bride was not happy about it and I still feel bad. I really had no idea. Please note I don't have any formal training but I can create very beautiful wedding cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%