For Home Based Bakers In Charlotte Nc

Decorating By Angelfoodcake Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm by effacient

Angelfoodcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfoodcake Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,I need an advice.
I am in process to become legal.I will be working from my home.
I am working on cakes and buttercreams flavors that I am going to offer.
I know that I can't offer cakes that need to be refrigerated.But what about carrot cake? Swiss meringue buttercream? I have a swiss meringue buttercream that can stay at room temperature for two days.Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

10 replies
pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #2 of 11

I am licensed in Greensboro, NC (even though Im moving to Florida next week) and I offer cakes with fillings that require refrigeration (curds etc). Who told you that you could only offer certain flavors of cake or kinds of icing? Did you get the home inspection by the Dept of Agriculture in Raleigh? The inspector should have written on your inspection sheet any limitations.

Angelfoodcake Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #3 of 11

Yes I was inpected by the Department of Agriculture.The inspector told me that I could not sell cakes that needed to be refrigerated (like cream cheese buttercream,whipped cream) and I forgot to ask her about carrot cake and swiss merigue buttercream icon_cry.gif

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:04am
post #4 of 11

Hmmmm, I dont know what to tell you other than maybe call their main office and ask about that. I dont know why she/he would have said that. I had to have a thermometer in my refrigerator showing that items are being stored at the right temperature. I mean if you were going to have customoers coming in your house to shop for bakery items then maybe I can understand that but if you are doing a wedding cake or birthday cake then of course you are going to keep it refrigerated until time for delivery or pick up. Good Luck.

Angelfoodcake Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 11

Please somebody else has to know icon_sad.gif

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 11

why would carrot cake need to be refrigerated in the first place?

Angelfoodcake Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 11

Because it is very very moist.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:06am
post #8 of 11

This is the language found on the NCDA&CS - Food & Drug Protection Division:

Quote:
Quote:

Low-risk packaged foods are the only products allowed to be produced at home. These can include:

Baked goods
Jams and jellies
Candies
Dried mixes
Spices
Some sauces and liquids
Pickles and acidified foods
Certain products must be evaluated to determine if they are low-risk or high-risk. After completing the Application for Home Processing Inspection, an NCDA&CS Food and Drug Protection Division inspector will determine if testing is required.

N.C. State University's Food Science Department will analyze products for risk. For more information, go to: http://ncsu.edu/foodscience/extension_program/food_product_testing.html

All high-risk products must be produced in a non-home based commercial facility . These include, but are not limited to:

Refrigerated or frozen products
Low-acid canned foods
Dairy products
Seafood products
Bottled water
If you are uncertain if your canned goods are low-acid or acidified, contact a Food Compliance Officer at 919-733-7366 for guidance.

What my Report actually says is:

Quote:
Quote:

During an inspection of your firm I observed: #2: This firm intends to operate as a home bakery producing low risk, shelf stable, non-refrigerated decorated cakes and cupcakes to sell by customer order.

I think that your confusion is that you aren't producing cream cheese, or other high risk products. You are using products that have already been made, produced and packaged in professional settings. Using products in baking that require refrigeration are not prohibited. The production of those products is what is prohibited.

I have made carrot cakes with cream cheese icings with no problem at all. Same with IMBC, SMBC, etc. If you are still not sure about it, then please call your inspector and ask her specifically about it.

The website for the NCDA&CS is
http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Angelfoodcake Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:21am
post #9 of 11

Thank you very much it is very good information thumbs_up.gif

effacient Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
effacient Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:51am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfoodcake

Hi,I need an advice.
I know that I can't offer cakes that need to be refrigerated.But what about carrot cake? Swiss meringue buttercream? I have a swiss meringue buttercream that can stay at room temperature for two days.Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Looks like it is interesting to taste that carrot cake. I hope to see more photos about that carrot cake. It seems interesting. icon_biggrin.gif

effacient Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
effacient Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfoodcake

Hi,I need an advice.

Don't let them spoil by to high a fridge temp

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%