Delivery Charge?

Decorating By Creativebakes Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 12:11am by labmom

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 11

I just wanted everyone's honest opinion about delivery charges. Do you charge for delivery? If so, how much is a reasonable? What method do you use to calculate how much to charge a client.....Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 11

$50

No real reason. Most of my deliveries are within 5 miles of my kitchen.

Creativebakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 11

Today was the first day I had to deliver a cake. I only had to go to downtown Houston, which is about 25 min from my house. And I thought..."Im wasting gas to deliver this, which means I'm losing profit."...lol.

Creativebakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 11

@Leah...Do you every have any complaints about delivery charges or are people pretty undestanding?

Creativebakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:28am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

$50

No real reason. Most of my deliveries are within 5 miles of my kitchen.

Do any of your clients ever have an issue with delivery charge?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:50am
post #6 of 11

For wedding cakes, I build delivery into the cost and advertise that delivery is free in my metro area. Most bakers in my area do this, so I felt like I had to follow suit to compete.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:55am
post #7 of 11

Delivery in town is free... anywhere else it's $2.00 per ONE WAY mile with a $25.00 minimum. With gas prices being what they are though it is going up... I haven't decided to what though. On average delivery fees run $50-100.00, though some have been much more. It depends on how badly they want your cake... LOL. I've never had a person complain about a delivery fee. If they don't want to pay they are more than welcome to pick up the cake (and sign an nice release form that waives me of responsibility for what might happen should they be careless).

Last time I checked, gas ain't free and every mile you drive takes profits from your bank account.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:34am
post #8 of 11

We charge $1/minute round trip (based on the Google Maps estimate).

Creativebakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone for your input!! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 11

I charge $1/mile outside of my town (which is a 6 mile square), within my town delivery is free (mainly because it's easier for me to deliver than to arrange to have people picking up at different times since my business is in my home)

Nobody has ever complained about it, and most are excited that it's so cheap!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:11am
post #11 of 11

I charge $25.00 local and any where out of the town area (which is small country town) I charge $35-75.

If it is somewhere I don't want to deliver (or make the cake.. the charges go way up in hopes they will go bother someone else). they have fooled me a couple times and I ended up driving half way accross the state, and the delivery charge was 175.00 (this was before our current gas prices).

But most don't have a problem with what ever I charge when they understand that it is not only delivery but also set up charges.. not just delivery. Something that the normal person doesn't want to do. budget or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%