Sand That Tastes Good?

Decorating By etr2002 Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 3:38pm by ajwonka

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 15

I'm making a sandal cake for a lua this weekend and to get some additional servings, I am using the bottom of the giant cupcake pan as a pile of sand to represent the beginning stage of a sandcastle. I will need to cover the cake with something that looks like sand but is tasty. I've read that some people use brown sugar (don't want to do that for taste purposes) and some use crushed nilla wafers - how does this taste? I plan to apply buttercream and then the "sand" on top of that. Any suggestions?

14 replies
kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 15

I just did my pirate cake last weekend and used nilla wafers. they taste great because of their mild flavor mixing well with my buttercream. I didn't use brown sugar because I thought it might start absorbing moisture from the buttercream and turn liquid... icon_smile.gif

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 15

I tried sand for the first time recently too. I used cinnamon graham crackers mixed with brown sugar. I got the idea from TLC's Ultimate Cakes. Looks great and had a great taste too icon_smile.gif HTH's

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 15

I put a mix of brown sugar, graham crackers and then add some colored yellow sanding sugar. You can eat the stuff like it is, its so yummy!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 15

For both of these I used vanilla cake crumbs. I just dried the cake a bit in the oven and ran it thru my food processor. Just like making bread crumbs.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-dan.html

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-alex.html

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 15

I use gram cracker crumbs so easy to buy the box
of already crushed crumbs to use

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 15

I use Rice Chex and brown sugar together and it turns out pretty good.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 15

I used white sugar sprinkles, placed in a zipper bag and added a few drops of brown ameri-color then shook it up. I added more until I like the color. HTH icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:33am
post #9 of 15

I just watched an episode of Fabulous Cakes and to make sand the baker left some white cake scrapes out overnight. In the morning he crumbled the scrapes, sifted them and added a bit of brown sugar.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:36am
post #10 of 15

I either use cake scrapes mixed with brown sugar...or I do a mixture of brown sugar and graham cracker crumbs.

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:58am
post #11 of 15

hi, i use crush up cinnamon toast crunch cereal icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 5:07am
post #12 of 15

I think graham cracker crumbs work better. They're so much less sweet than any of the sugars you can use. Not grainy and to me they become part of the taste of the cake...they don't detract from it.

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for all the tips!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 15

Crushed rice krispies with a touch of brown sugar.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I think graham cracker crumbs work better. They're so much less sweet than any of the sugars you can use. Not grainy and to me they become part of the taste of the cake...they don't detract from it.

+1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%