Help With Icing

Baking By Cargen Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 1:04pm by Rhonlynn

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 7

I normally make the Wilton buttercream icing, but have found I have to add more vanilla and butter extract than the recipe calls for to get the crisco taste out of your mouth. Now, I think it is getting too sweet though so I have been researching other icings. I found the indybebbie (gosh I can't remember if that is how you spell it) buttercream and everyone seems to rave about it. My fear is though that it is made with milk. The wilton icing stays good for long periods b/c there is nothing perishable in it and does not require refrigeration.

For anyone who uses this icing, how long will it stay good and does it need to be refrigerated? I want to try it, but only if it is going to stay fresh.

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7

IndyDebi. icon_wink.gif

The amount of the sugar in the icing acts as a preservative, so you can use milk with out any issues. You could also use water in place of the milk, or do like they do in SugarShack's icing and use powder cream mixed with water.

Most American buttercreams are good out on the cabinet, for a week or two. I personally try to store them in the fridge or even freezer, if I know there will be some time between cakes.

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks TexasSugar.

I actually looked up the recipe after I posted b/c I was pretty sure I spelled it wrong. Oops!!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 7

Salt cuts the greasy feeling from the palate. Make sure not to omit it from buttercream recipes that are shortening-based.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:56am
post #5 of 7

Sometims you have to tweak the ratios. If it's too greasy, add a little more sugar until it doesn't leave the film. If it's too sweet, add a bit more shortening or real butter to cut the jaw clenching sweetness. I have found that certain shortening brands do require more or less sugar than the recipe states. I no longer use a recipe and havent't in 8 or so years (been doing them for 10), I do it by looks and taste.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:19am
post #6 of 7

If possible you should try hi-ratio shortening in place of Crisco. I know you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference.

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 7

I switched to indydebi's recipe, and used Hi Ratio Shortening, and no longer have icing troubles or Crisco taste in my mouth. I used Sugarshack's smoothing techniques. Hi Ratio shortening is creamy and I could tell an immediate difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%