Shimmery Fondant

Decorating By katiegraves Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 1:38pm by Marianna46

katiegraves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiegraves Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 16

Can luster dust be mixed into fondant before rolling it out? I need an entire cake to be shimmery with lots of different colors being used. I thought it would be easier if I had something to mix into the fondant when it is colored that it would be to brush on luster dust after. Also, I have had trouble with the luster dust being streaky when I brush it on. So, what kind of brush is best to use if I have to brush it on? Thanks for all input. The cake is a month or so out, I am just thinking...

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 16

Luster dust just disappears when you mix it into fondant. I use different brushes depending on the size of area I need to cover, but the biggest way to avoid streaks is not to go over the same area twice, or to wait until the entire thing has dried and then add some more dry luster dust with a soft brush.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 16

Those fluffy brushes that they sell for applying rouge are great for applying luster dust. Unfortunately, it really doesn't work to mix it in with the fondant, but i buy those brushes a lot. It's just one of tho.se things that takes a lot of patience when you're covering a large area. Texas_Rose's idea of putting on two coats is a good one.

katiegraves Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 16

Okay. Since you said to wait for it to dry, I am guessing you apply it wet? I have always just dry dusted it on, that could be my problem. Mix the luster dust with ???? Ratio?
Thanks for the advice on brushes, soft brushes make way more sense to me. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 16

I think Texas_Rose meant that the fondant would still be a little tacky, not that you should dissolve the luster dust in liquid. If you do that (you can use a clear liquor like vodka) it will cover the color below. That's what you do when you want something to be totally gold or silver. To get shimmer, you need to brush the powder on dry.

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 16

I usually do it both ways, dissolve the luster dust in vodka and paint it on, then if I want sparkle, I brush it on top.

Luster dust will not completely cover the color beneath it, at least the luster dusts I've used don't do that. Even when you're trying to get a gold or silver look, the best you can hope for is a sparkly yellow or sparkly gray...at least with the Wilton luster dusts.

If you want a vivid color, you can mix gel color and vodka and paint with that, for a subtle sheen use luster dust and vodka.

Marianna46 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 16

That's really interesting, Texas_Rose. The ones I use (no idea what brand they are, but not Wilton) cover pretty well unless I really water them down - or should I say "vodka them down" - and then they run, so it's not even anyway!

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 16

Hi

I use Sugarflair lustre dusts and they are really amazing. If you want a really sparkly silver, use black icing and while the fondant is still soft brush with Sugarflair's Ivory lustre dust. You get an amazing silvery effect.

If I want a metallic effect I hold the items over a steaming kettle which again gives a great metallic effect without looking too heavy but I also mix them vodka to paint on for a metallic effect too.

CP xxx

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 16

This was done with Wilton orchid pink pearl dust mixed with vodka;

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/06/bonne-fete-crystal.html

And this was done with CK old gold mixed with vodka:

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/03/pot-dor.html

The pink crown here was done with Wilton gold pearl dust brushed on dry, and the blue was the same dust mixed with vodka:

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/01/dites-votre-amoureux-quelle-quil-est-la.html

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 16

Here's some examples:

The pale pink on the "billowing" part is a mix of vodka and luster dust painted over white fondant.
This was gray fondant painted with vodka and silver dust, then dry dusted for sparkle:
This is wilton's pearl dusts in different shades, dry dusted on white gumpaste.
The red part of this is red fondant painted with Super pearl, the gold was done with gold airbrush color (americolor), and the painted shapes were gel color thinned with vodka:
The silver on here is americolor airbrush color, and the pearl is americolor pearl airbrush color:

Marianna46 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:15am
post #11 of 16

Thanks so much for these beautiful examples, cakeyouverymuch and Texit's as_Rose! You guys are true artists and it's very helpful to see the results different techniques give.

katiegraves Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:27am
post #12 of 16

Awesome advice guys!!! Thank you so much!!!!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:52am
post #13 of 16

Forget dry brushing LOL! I bought a cheap airbrush machine off amazon and haven't looked back! I bought it just for the ease of adding the "Luster" to my cakes!! It sprays even, not streaks! And, once you get the hang of it, you can add shimmer or color just to where you want it! add shadows too! its like $65 and one of my first large purchases I made once I stared decorating icon_biggrin.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:42am
post #14 of 16

If you don't want to spend the money on an airbrush, a cheap alternative can be found at the hardware store. Not exactly sure what it is called, but I use a refillable aerosol can that screws onto a little bottle with a straw going down into the bottle from the aerosol. (if that makes sense... it does in my head) In the bottle I put super pearl and vodka, and then spray over the whole cake to give it the shimmery effect. I can let you know what they're called tomorrow when I get to work, and can see them =)

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:52am
post #15 of 16

something else you can do is put the luster dust on a plate, get one of those sponge brushes, dab it in the dust, then blow air on the brush. you can also use a dry paint brush, tap it in the dust, and then run you thumb over the bristles to make the dust go flying onto the fondant icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:38pm
post #16 of 16

I never knew there were so many, and such productive, ways to do this! That's what I love about coming here - no matter how long you've been here (not that I'm breaking any records in that department, but you know what I mean), there's always something more to learn. Thanks for sharing, y'all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%