Freaking Out! (Smbc And The Heat This Weekend)

Decorating By caraleecupcake Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 1:23pm by blissfulbaker

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a small 2 tier wedding cake and cupcakes for my friends wedding. It's at a winery so we were going with a rustic look with the cake, which is going to be white chocolate SMBC and a few fresh flowers to garnish. The weather here in the DC area is supposed to be around 89 degrees and humid. The wedding is OUTSIDE at 2pm!!!! I've been watching the forecast all week... I'm freaking out right now icon_cry.gif I already voiced my concerns and she is ok keeping the cake inside until the cutting. But it just sucks icon_sad.gif Also none of the cupcakes can be displayed until they are served.

I'm almost done making the SMBC as I type... is it too late to add hi-ratio shortening later? If so, I can try to go look for some at the cake supply store around here (if they even have it).

~CaraLee

7 replies
erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 8

Can you do the filling as SMBC and ice the outsides of the cake with a shortening based BC? I think with a thick enough dam and proper dowelling you should be ok. Same with the cupcakes - you could fill with some SMBC and do the swirl with regular BC.
I would not add more shortening to SMBC after it is finished - it will just taste gross (trust me, I've done it!). I usually use 3/4 butter and 1/4 shortening in my SMBC.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 8

I dont know bout adding the shortening to smbc but if you cant find high ratio use crisco. this works in a pinch. ps here in tx we are hitting triple digits so im a going with all shortening or ganach. good luck!

caraleecupcake Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 8

thanks so responding so quickly icon_smile.gif i may swing by the cake store to see if they even have any and re-evaluate tonight... i can always freeze this batch of SMBC for later I guess... I just always feel I'm racing the clock for time becuase I'm doing all the baking tomorrow :-/

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 8

Don't feel bad. I have a huge cake next weekend for a communion, Father's Day, and a 40th wedding anniversary. I have to deliver or else the cake will sit in a car for 2 hours before the party. AND the party is at the beach at noon. I'm actually praying for rain so they'll be forced to move the party indoors. Even with regular buttercream using hi-ratio shortening, I'm scared the cake is going to melt. I'm a few hours south of you so similar temps and humidity. Good luck with yours!

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 8

you can make another buttercream using half butter half sweetex, then add that buttercream to the swiss meringue. Add one cup at a time to the SMBC, being careful not to add too much. this will give it what it needs to hold up better. If you use more than 1/4 of the recipe, then technically it's not smbc any longer. Using a small amount will change the taste slightly but make it more stable. I only use SMBC and that's what we do in the hot humid weather.

caraleecupcake Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 8

thanks for the responses!! i ended up just keeping everything as is...and since i was attending the wedding i just dipped out for a few minutes, went to the room we stored the cake in and set it up before the cake cake cutting. The photographer was able to take the pics right before they cut the cake and everything icon_smile.gif BUT now that I know about adding hi-ratio shortening, i will be trying that in the future, just to have some reassurance for the next cake in this summer heat icon_smile.gif

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 8

I have also done what donnella2045 suggested. The frosting is very good and it can hold up better than straight SMBC.

Since I live in the Chicago area, I take classes at the Wilton school. Collette Peters teaches there often. She suggested that we add Sweetex and powder sugar to SMBC or IMBC during the summer months. However, I don't think it can be added once the icing is made.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%