Pearl Border Mold Question

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 3:52pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 10

I just got a pearl border mold. But it has a flat edge, and you can tell that it's not a bunch of balls strung together. Is there a way to make it look more like a string of pearls or am I just stuck with a stupid mold that doesn't work right?

9 replies
k4of9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k4of9 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 10

Could you make two of them and glue the flat pieces together with royal icing to make one solid piece?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 10

which mold are you talking about. first impressions?ck molds are usually rounded very good.

kristiemarie Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 10

the wilton one.

Maybe that's my problem.

T_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T_Cakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 10

Simply cut the flat edge end off so that the strands end with an entire round pearl. Then string it along next to another entire pearl. Hope that makes sense.

T_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T_Cakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, I forgot to mention that I use the pearl mold that came with the new Wilton baroque mold that I got at Michael's for $6 ( used the 40% off coupon). The pearl strands string along beautifully with no issues. Look at my pics

loml001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loml001 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 10

I think it has a flat back so that it will fit flush against the border edge (top or bottom) of the cake. I used it just two nights ago and the pearls laid nicely against the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 10

If you don't fill it all the way, and then squeeze the mold together a little bit before you take the pearls out, it will give them more of a rounded back. It's not going to look like a strand of pearls though, because it doesn't have a back. You'd probably need to use a two-piece mold for that, or make the pearls the old-fashioned way and just string them together.

kristiemarie Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah, probably. Thanks all! I guess I was expecting too much out of a $10 mold. LOL

kristiemarie Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 10

Atilla, I must admit it looks much better on the cake than it does just lying on my table. I'll give it another shot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%