Edible Image On Cake For 2 -3 Days

Decorating By gourmetsharon Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 2:58am by gourmetsharon

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:12am
post #1 of 17

A friend really wants me to make her son's birthday cake right before I go on vacation. I would need to deliver the cake 2 -3 days before I leave.

She wants the Orioles logo which I thought I might do as a buttercream transfer but now think maybe an edible image might be better.

Thoughts? Thanks!

16 replies
gourmetsharon Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:26am
post #2 of 17

I could put the edible image/logo part on a fondant plaque for her to place on the cake that day.

or would it be ok on the cake from delivery to party?

gourmetsharon Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 9:15am
post #3 of 17

anyone?

King-Girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
King-Girlz Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 17

I can't really help much. I am planning on getting some edible images done by Dairy Queen for an upcoming cake. The images are put on to rice paper? They told me that I need to put them on my cake within 12 hrs or less or the image may fade? I don't know if this is true? They also didn't know if I could put the images on fondant. Maybe you have used images before and maybe they do last. I would just hate for you to do all the work and then the image disappears or fades?

1sweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1sweetpea Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:57am
post #5 of 17

Hey guys!

In this less-than-ideal situation, the most important thing is going to be to prevent image fading before application. All edible print-on-demand systems use water-based inks which can be very photosensitive. Because after 2-3 days any icing will have crusted--making it difficult for an image to adhere to--I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to attach it to a white chocolate or fondant plaque (kept away from the light) that your friend can plunk down on the day of the party. Hope that helps!

gourmetsharon Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:30am
post #6 of 17

Thanks!

Lisa_OBrien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa_OBrien Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:56am
post #7 of 17

I havbe 2 -6 inch squares covered with plaid edible images in my fridge I did on Tuesday. They are test cakes & have smbc with the image on top. they are stored in a cake carrier & my husband who is the taster says they are fine. We will probably keep them a couple of more days so I can update again if you like. They haven't faded at all. I do have to say this is my first time working with these & they are thicker than I epected.

King-Girlz Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:27am
post #8 of 17

So when I get my images from Dairy Queen they explained over the phone that I cut the image out because I will have many on the sheet and almost peel it like a bandaid. I am assuming it would just stick to the fondant or am I wrong? Will I have to adere it with something to get it to stick. Does the photo actually melt into the fondant?
My grandfather's 90th birthday is June 25th. I am making the cake on the 24th and then getting the images (black and white) put on the 24th as well. Then on the 25th leaving in the morning and driving it to the party.
Any info would be great on these edible images since I have never used them!

gourmetsharon Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:31am
post #9 of 17

Lisa, thanks, yes, please I would love an update.

the damage is normally done after you take out and let the cake come to room temp. The condensation makes the image run and blur.

I have only used an edible image once on white chocolate discs and that's what happened to them. they were in a zip loc bag.

King-Girlz Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:56am
post #10 of 17

So if your cake stays in room temp and doesn't go into the fridge...am I good to go?!!!! Hee!

gourmetsharon Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 17

Not sure. I don't know if you put something in a Tupperware type container if the moisture would do the same. Or if OK if you box it.
Not as experienced as many here yet.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 17

Light will fade the image and condensation can cause either bubbling or drip marks. To avoid both, if you plan to refridgerate your cake, keep it in an air tight container and do not open it or take it out until the cake is at room temperature. Make sure the cake is kept out of light. Also, very important is to make certain that when you apply your image, make sure you smooth the image in to the icing completely. If you store an image attached to a cake and you do not do this, bubbles may appear on the icing sheet.

King: If dairy queen is using rice paper, it may respond differently. Icing sheets and rice paper are different.

Lisa_OBrien Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 17

well thats good to know. I will go take them out of the fridge now & see what they do for the rest of the day & let you know.

prayerwarrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayerwarrior Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 17

I've used the edible image on cakes I have baked for my church. We have frozen the left overs and served them again the next week. The image was perfect and more than one person has told me the cakes were even better after they were frozen. We freeze the cake unwrapped. After the cake is frozen we wrap it real good (3 layers) in plastic wrap and put it back in the freezer until needed. The cake is just a pretty after it is thawed and the image doesn't change a bit. Good luck.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:58pm
post #15 of 17

A lot depends on the humidity levels. During the winter spring and fall usually there are no issues, but if you are in high humid areas, you can run into problems. We have large ice cream store chains who freeze the images all the time and they are fine, the issues only come up with the humid defrosting cakes.

Lisa_OBrien Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:34am
post #16 of 17

So my cakes have been out of the fridge all day. It was 74 today with 62% humidity. I did not have any running of color or water spots, but did have a couple of very small air bubbles where I must not have smoothed properly. I let the cakes sit in the cake carrier and didn't open it for 6 hours.

gourmetsharon Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_OBrien

So my cakes have been out of the fridge all day. It was 74 today with 62% humidity. I did not have any running of color or water spots, but did have a couple of very small air bubbles where I must not have smoothed properly. I let the cakes sit in the cake carrier and didn't open it for 6 hours.

Thanks for the update!

We were 94 degrees today with humidity in the 90% range.

I do think it has alot to do with the weather!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%