First Real Order.. A Zillion Questions..

Decorating By kneenah Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 5:03am by JanH

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #1 of 27

Cat in the Hat cat due June 26 i have a bunch of questions....

1. what a good websites i can get adorable cake drums and card boards?

2. This is the butter cream i use anyone know a good better one?
1/2 cup soften butter
1/2 crisco
2table spoons water plus 2tea spons
1tea spon flavor
1pound powder surgar

3. someone post this cake and i really liked it BUT i am a little confused on how i use make it http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1970968

4. I was thinking about getting edible prints for the characters when in advance should i buy the prints? how they go bad if not used right away?

5. how to i place the prints directly on the cake and would it look too flat?

6. the letters were templates but should i also get those edible prints?

7. show i make the hat rice krispy or cake?

8. how do i know what size to get the prints? what if they too big or too small?

9. how in advance should i dye the fondant?

10. how much fondant show i order?

11. how can i get that baby blue color?

please answer these questions for me.. thanks.. if u have any more ideas about what to add or remove from the cake i am open to ideas.. even fillings i am curious to know... its for a 1st bday... thanks

26 replies
cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 27

First off all, how many people are going to be at the party you're making the cake for, because if you copy that design, that's a LOT of cake,
Second, rather then ordering prints, why don't you just use fondant cutouts, much cheaper, and pretty simple. You can print out or trace the characters in paper, and then transfer the design to a piece of fondant ( you could use the pin prick method ) or just free hand it on a piece of fondant and cut it out.
Third, IMO, it would be easier to recreate this cake ( if thats what oure going for ) by using fondant, rather then BC.
Forth, if you use fondant, you could just write out The letters directly on the fondant using a black edible marker.

Lastly, the amount of fondant you need depends on how many cakes/tiers you're making, and how big they are,

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 27

i am going to cover the cake in fondant. but i wanted to know if there was a more tasteful bc. and u are right about the edible print i guess i should try that first.. the cakes has to feed 150 ppl.. if for my best friend so a little extra is cool :0) thanks a bunch tho.. but what exactly is the pin prick method ?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:36am
post #4 of 27

There are two legal issues you'll want to sort out before you accept this order:

1. If you are baking from your home kitchen, make sure you are allowed to legally sell the cake. If your state does not have a cottage food law, you cannot legally accept compensation for the cake unless it was made in a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen.

2. Since the Cat in the Hat is a copyrighted character, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner before you can use it on a cake that will be sold. You can contact the copyright owner at the link below:
http://www.randomhouse.com/about/contact.html

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #5 of 27

Not sure what you mean by 'adorable' cake drums/boards....a cake drum is a cake drum - they're all plain and basic unless you decorate them up yourself (perhaps by covering with fondant to match the cake) I'm yet to see any for sale that I would call adorable!

You can dye your fondant a few days in advance, in fact it is easier to work with bright/dark colours if they've been dyed in advance and left to rest (well covered to stop drying out, of course).

The blue colour is easy to mix using any good medium blue food colouring gel...just add a little at a time so you don't accidentally make it too bright/dark.

Is this for a paying customer? (If it's a free cake for someone then kindly disregard what I'm about to say) I'm not asking to find out if you're selling legally or not - I couldn't care less what people do in that regard, it's their own responsibility to ensure they do the right thing, or be prepared to cop the consequences if they don't. The reason I ask to be perfectly honest is because I'm wondering if you're jumping the gun a bit by taking on paid cake orders if you don't know the answers to a lot of those questions already. Yes this is the place to learn and ask questions, and people here are happy to help, myself included...but if you don't know the basics then I would keep practicing before taking orders.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:47am
post #6 of 27

In the long list of questions, she didn't ask anything about being legal.

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:57am
post #7 of 27

Sorry lol i meant to say affordable yikes.. and no i will not be charging her for the cake.. its my gift to her for my god sons birthday... I say order cuz its my first cake.. U guys are freaken me the hell out.. what i do is a hobby, in no which way or form am i running a bakery from my house.. I dont get it.. i fig when people post pics its so we can see their cakes.. Its not as if i am going to copy every single detail.. ALITTLE CONFUSED

jason_kraft Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:02am
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneenah

and no i will not be charging her for the cake.. its my gift to her for my god sons birthday... what i do is a hobby

You should be fine from a legal perspective then, since it's not a commercial transaction you don't have to worry about licensing or inspection.

Technically it is still a copyright violation if you don't obtain permission first, but if the cake is a gift and no money changes hands it's very unlikely that you'll get in trouble, so it's up to you on whether or not you want to obtain permission from the Cat in the Hat copyright owner first.

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:03am
post #9 of 27

I feel a little attacked cuz i just asked a few simple questions and instead of being given answers instead i you guys are asking me if i am licensed... how are we going to feel comfortable asking questions if people are going to jump the gun.. I simply liked the cake and wanted to take ideas from the cake.. have u guys seened my cakes i am not professional so selling running under ground bakery isnt my secret idea. When people make cakes i am sure the ideas dont just pop into their brain. The get ideas from other places.. U guys can questions the licnece thing to people who are really looking to start a business not to someone who just wants to bake...

Coral3 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:06am
post #10 of 27
Quote:

Sorry lol i meant to say affordable yikes.

Hehe, okay that makes sense! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know that my source of cake boads would be much help to you - unless you are in Australia? - Unfortunately it's not really cost-effective to ship cake boards very far! icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:08am
post #11 of 27

I apologize if my post came off as an attack, it was just for your information since many people don't think about legal issues when accepting orders. In this case it's not applicable, but usually when someone mentions an order they are referring to a customer ordering a cake from their business.

And you'll notice I never asked if you were licensed. icon_wink.gif

Coral3 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:10am
post #12 of 27
Quote:

I feel a little attacked cuz i just asked a few simple questions and instead of being given answers instead i you guys are asking me if i am licensed...

Only one person asked. And people have been giving helpful answers to your question.

icon_smile.gif

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:13am
post #13 of 27

its kool.. its just i have been thinking of those questions for a long time and i final had 10mins to type it and you guys scared the crap out of me i was already thinking great NINA what the hell did u get urself into.. its totallly cool, i am sure no one meant it in a bad way.. its def something i will look into whenever i get as good as ya.. for now i am just baking for fun... its summer time in NYC now soo i bake when i can cuz i love to take advantage of the sun.. :0)

Coral3 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:14am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

I apologize if my post came off as an attack, it was just for your information since many people don't think about legal issues when accepting orders. In this case it's not applicable, but usually when someone mentions an order they are referring to a customer ordering a cake from their business.

People do assume 'first real order' is referring to a paid order, I know it was my first assumption.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:14am
post #15 of 27

Don't feel bad, Jason Attacks everyone. Its not just you. lol

mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:18am
post #16 of 27
Quote:

its kool.. its just i have been thinking of those questions for a long time and i final had 10mins to type it and you guys scared the crap out of me i was already thinking great NINA what the hell did u get urself into.. its totallly cool, i am sure no one meant it in a bad way.. its def something i will look into whenever i get as good as ya.. for now i am just baking for fun... its summer time in NYC now soo i bake when i can cuz i love to take advantage of the sun.. :0)

Just saw your in NYC. Me too! You ever shop at NY Cake on 22nd and 6th?
This is thier website... But you have to go there... You'll be like a kid in a candy story.
http://www.nycake.com/

Coral3 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:20am
post #17 of 27
Quote:

{hugs}

I just bake for fun too, I've never sold a cake. I get lots of people wanting to pay me to make cakes but frankly I don't need the stress. If you do it as a hobby and make free cakes just for family you get to make whatever you like anyway, and that suits me just fine! thumbs_up.gif I'm sorry if I offended you by my first comment, I certainly didn't mean to. I confess I grabbed the wrong end of the stick there. icon_redface.gif

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:23am
post #18 of 27

I went for the first time two weeks ago.. actually someone from here told me about it.. I took my boyfriend cuz the parking sux... OMG i was there for sooooo long.. i wanted to look at every item... he ended up leaving the car illegally parked to ask me if i was coming out anytime soon... I loved the store BUT.. they are a few dollars more expensive but def worth the visit for certain things...

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:27am
post #19 of 27

Coral its cool.. i know ya were looking out for me.. I am a complete softy...:0)

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:28am
post #20 of 27

My question would be-the cake you are making-is it going to be a stacked cake? If so, have you ever done a stacked cake? If you read the maker of the cakes comments-it says they hand cut everything and hand painted. If you are planning on using printables do you have an edible printer? Do you have enough experience to bake cake for 150 people? I'm not trying to be hard in anyway. You always have to do something "first" to know what it's like. I'm just thinking if you haven't done a stacked cake, and because of all of your questions, maybe you should go little smaller scale when trying something new. However, in saying that-my first stacked cake was massive-it's a lua barbie cake. So have fun and give yourself plenty of time!

Coral3 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:29am
post #21 of 27
Quote:

I went for the first time two weeks ago.. actually someone from here told me about it.. I took my boyfriend cuz the parking sux... OMG i was there for sooooo long.. i wanted to look at every item... he ended up leaving the car illegally parked to ask me if i was coming out anytime soon... I loved the store BUT.. they are a few dollars more expensive but def worth the visit for certain things...

icon_lol.gif
My husband HATES it when I just pop into the cake decorating shop for 'a quick look'! It's NEVER a quick look, LOL. icon_biggrin.gif He refuses to go anywhere near the cake shop with me now...if I even suggest I pop in while we're in the area his response is "No way. You can go there some other day when you're on your own." Such a meanie! icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:34am
post #22 of 27
Quote:

i am going to cover the cake in fondant. but i wanted to know if there was a more tasteful bc. and u are right about the edible print i guess i should try that first.. the cakes has to feed 150 ppl.. if for my best friend so a little extra is cool :0) thanks a bunch tho.. but what exactly is the pin prick method ?

The pin prick method is where you print out a picture that you want on the cake, secure the paper on the cake (or onto rolled out gumpaste if you're going to then cut the shape out to put on the cake as a 2D decoration) then poke pin holes along the lines so that when you remove the paper you have the image in pin marks on your fondant which you use as a guide for piping the outlines.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieDryden

My question would be-the cake you are making-is it going to be a stacked cake? If so, have you ever done a stacked cake? If you read the maker of the cakes comments-it says they hand cut everything and hand painted. If you are planning on using printables do you have an edible printer? Do you have enough experience to bake cake for 150 people? I'm not trying to be hard in anyway. You always have to do something "first" to know what it's like. I'm just thinking if you haven't done a stacked cake, and because of all of your questions, maybe you should go little smaller scale when trying something new. However, in saying that-my first stacked cake was massive-it's a lua barbie cake. So have fun and give yourself plenty of time!

Agree... this is a very ambitious cake if you haven't had any courses or much experience. The other thing to check out is if the venue where the party is being held will accept outside food from someone who is not licenced. Some do not. If the party is held at a private residence, of course there is no issue.

I have looked at your cakes which are lovely, however I did not see a multi-tiered cake...not to say that you haven't made one, but if you haven't there is a lot to know for stacking a cake like that with internal support. And I'm sure everyone here on CC can be very helpful to you as they have been to me in the past.

I wish you lots of luck and look forward to seeing your finished cake! icon_smile.gif

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:39am
post #24 of 27

yea its going to b stacked.. I have made a stack cake before but it was before i knew cake boards existed lol i just used a piece of a carboard box....lol dont ask...lol....i think i know the fundamental of stacking i have sharon zambitos shacking dvd down pack.... my friend works for deco and she can get me a discount on the printables..but that i have never worked with... i would love try to do the whole trace and cut method ppl have talked about and dont worry ur not being any harder then the others were..joking... nah but its cool.. I am not scared to make the cake i am acually very excited.. how hard can it really be lol...

Coral, well since i totally hate taking nyc trains he is sort of forced to come with me so he can stay in the car.. altho most of the time i ask him he says no so it forces me to either shops online OR go to Michael's which i hate..

kneenah Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #25 of 27

hummm i took the Wilton course, he he.. lets just cross my fingers.. I will def ask another zillion questions that weekend of june 26th..lol..

the venus does allow outside cakes from unlicensed ppl i did ck that out..lol

mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:56am
post #26 of 27
Quote:

Its a great place to go if you need something last minute cause they have EVERYTHING. But I scope alot out there and order online!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:03am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

Don't feel bad, Jason Attacks everyone. Its not just you. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Ladies and Gentlemen of CakeCentral:

Over the last month or so there has been an unsettling increase in the volume and frequency of petty bickering in the forums.

This behavior is completely unacceptable and against the spirit of Cake Central.

The moderators and administrators are fed up with trying to keep up with this ugliness and trying to keep the peace.

Quite frankly, Heath and I are disgusted with the behavior of a handful of members and we are putting an end to it.

Consider this message fair notice to everyone. The leniency is over.

We are going to start banning any member we feel is starting problems, provoking others, making snide remarks, or insulting other members.

I don't care if we have to ban 1000 users if that is what it takes to get this community back to focusing on cakes instead of inter-personal drama.

We are all supposed to be here to talk politely about cake, support each other, and lend a helping hand.

If you don't agree with someone, by all means.... disagree, but do it respectfully.

If someone asks for your constructive criticism, then give it... constructively.

If you find yourself unable to write a post, PM, or response in a constructive, encouraging or supportive way then you need to walk away.

Remember, this community is based on values of caring, and generosity of spirit.

Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%