How To Remove Icing Sugar/powdered Sugar From Fondant?

Decorating By RedLola Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 12:46am by BlakesCakes

RedLola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedLola Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 11

Hi there,
hope someone can help me on this...does anyone know how to remove icing/powdered sugar from fondant? when im molding or cutting out letters i obviously powder my surface but ultimately one side always ends up covered in sugar and then leaves a dull surface to my cake icon_sad.gif ive tried brushing it off with a paint brush and this gets rid of a little but not much, also tried painting a bit of water on but this just makes the fondant sticky and when it dried its still left behind! grrrr, does anyone have a tips apart from using a steamer?
many thanks in advance!! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 11

Buy a small clothes steamer. I bought one from Target for 5.00 and it works great. Just don't steam it to long or get to close.

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 11

I have brushed fondant with a little vodka to get the ps off. It freaked me out at first to do this, but it dried quickly, did not leave it sticky, and gave the design a nice bright look.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 11

I use cornstarch rather than powdered sugar, and I remove it by lightly rubbing the surface with a little wad of fondant.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 11

I have seen them rub with fondant (as noted above) on the cake challenges/shows. Also, they sometimes use steamers. Boy, when I went looking for one couldn't find any cheap ones. (Of course, at one time we must have had 5 of them in our house before we took stock and got rid of them (BC - before caking).

RedLola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedLola Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 11

Wow, thank you so much for your fast responses, they are so helpful!! i really appreciate it and ill try them all tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif thanks again x

Geina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geina Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 11

I use clear vanilla and brush the cake with a cake brush over all fondant after the cake is complete and assembled. It leaves a wonderful glazed look, it enhances the colors and looks awesome. Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 11

I barely use any ps or cs when I am cutting out fondant shapes/letters.
I begin by kneading in a bit of shortening before I roll the fondant out.
I might lightly dust the surface with some ps/cs, roll the fondant out and then cut.
You can use a thin plastic cutting board to roll out the fondant as well. It doesn't require very much ps/cs either.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:16am
post #9 of 11

I never roll on CS or PS, except when using Tappits. I roll on vegetable shortening and I never have to worry about getting powder off of my product. It saves so much mess & clean up. I honestly can't see doing it any other way.

With the Tappits, if the CS is an issue, I spray them with a bit of Everclear or vodka.

Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:35am
post #10 of 11

when i use tappitts or cut small fondant decos, i knead the fondant or g/p with little crisco, then roll out on a cake board covered with white shiny freezer paper that you get at grocery store. Works beautifully . does not stick . I have some cake friends that roll out their fondant for cakes this same way. I have not tried that, but using the tappitts,etc. it is wonderful.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:46am
post #11 of 11

I use the CS on the top side of the gum paste so that it releases easily from the Tappit cutter--especially those $&%^ letters with really skinny areas........

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%