Buttercream Disaster

Baking By thebrat68 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 12:45pm by thebrat68

thebrat68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebrat68 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 4

Buttercream disaster I made a double batch of butter cream I needed enough for 2 different cakes. But I did things a little different to (A) save a little money (B) try something new and ( C) save a little money. When I make my buttercream icing I usually use more butter then Crisco will lets face it butter is expensive at almost $4 lb. So I use more Crisco then butter this time (just reversed the amounts) thats the save a little money part then I saw here on CC that if you add some corn starch to your butter cream it helps if you live in a humid area (lives on the coast of NC) so I added 1 T to my BC then for flavor I sub. Coffee creamer for my heavy cream I wanted a stronger flavor so I heated ½ water to a boil and added ½ c powdered Italian Sweet Cream flavor mixed and added (after it cooled). Now my butter cream is just very weird in texture it looks like it is just ready to separate and has the texture of (for no way other to explain) wood putty you know it sticks but not quite and its kinda solid but yet grainy. And it adheres like it too you know it doesnt like to stick until it dries The BC does not want to stick to my cake but put it in the fridge after a crumb coat and it is sticking Gosh I hope when it comes back to room temp it doesnt fall off.
Does anyone know what in the world I did wrong???

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 4

anytime you use a brand new recipe (and with 3 different changes in an original recipe, to me that qualifies as 'new recipe'), there is a chance of it not working the same as the original recipe that you're used to using. Changes in recipes should be experimented with before it goes out on a customer cake.

It's hard to say with a situation of "I used the same recipe except I changed this and this and this......"

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's hard to say with a situation of "I used the same recipe except I changed this and this and this......"

I love when people review recipes and give it a negative review with a statement like that.

I'm always careful about changing too many things in a recipe at one time, because things do react differently.

What is the original recipe you used? Is this a recipe you have used with success? What was the 'new' recipe that you actually used?

I have suggested people add corn starch to thicken up icing, but I'm not sure that it helps with humidity issues. I do use a tablespoon of meringue powder per lb of sugar to help with stability.

From my experience, heavy cream is thicker than water, so when I have used (whipping) cream I have found that I needed to add more than I would if I was using water. Is it possible that the water/coffee creamer mixture was thinner and you didn't need as much?

In my experience icing that looks like it is separating is usually too thin. But then again icing that doesn't want to stick to the cake is usually too thick, so it's hard to really know with out being able to see it.

My thought would be, if you have the stuff, go ahead and make a fresh batch of icing, especially if this is a cake for someone else.

Once that cake is done you can play around with this one to see if you can fix it. Maybe taking a small amount of it and adding some powders sugar to it?

thebrat68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebrat68 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 4

And that is just what I did (made a new batch)... The 1st cake was just for home and The 2nd cake was just for my department at work. I'm just a hobby baker home, work, friends and such. So I have had it in my head for YEARS (after meny years ago only using the Wilton recipe of making icing) That I hated icing that didn't have butter in it. But I must say that indydebi
I made your icing and loved it!!!!!!!!! and it hold up to my hot hands!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%