What Is A Chocolate Mud Cake?

Baking By Pickulz Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 12:04pm by southerncross

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 10:01am
post #1 of 5

Ive seen some the name 'mud cake' around here...what is it? What kind of cake does it make? Dense? Light? Sturdy? Is it very chocolately? Yummy?

4 replies
josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 10:15am
post #2 of 5

i would like this recipe too. what about filling for mud cake?

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 10:25am
post #3 of 5

i was looking in a web site, mud cake is not just with chocolate, it can be make with any other flavor too. please can someone post the basic recipe for mud cake.

thanks cc friends.

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:19am
post #4 of 5

A mud cake is a lovely moist dense cake made with either white chocolate or dark chocolate that will stay fresh for at least a week or so. Over here we generally fill/layer with either dark choc ganache or white choc ganache, as it's very stable under fondant. Very popular for wedding cakes.
Other flavours can then be added, such as lemon, lime, and orange rind to a white choc mud, or you can fold through raspberries, coconut and substitute the milk for coconut milk, or add chopped cherry ripe (choc bar over here) or any other choc bar, the list is endless. If you google chocolate mud cake you will find loads of recipes.

happy baking icon_smile.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 5

Around here the mud cake is basically a dense dark chocolate cake....it becomes Mississippi mud cake with the addition of marshmallows and pecans. If you want to make a layer cake that isn't the usual single layer traditional mud cake, then I recommend Paula Deen's at

http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view2/layered_mississippi_mud_cake/

Fair warning...this is a "southern" cake and is very sweet. But it's one of the most requested cakes I make

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%