Is There A Tool To Make Using Grass Or Star Tip Easier?????

Decorating By cb3 Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm by ajwonka

cb3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb3 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:38am
post #1 of 8

I was just wondering if there is a tool out there to put buttercream in and make grass or star tips. After covering the entire top of a baseball cake in grass this week, my hand was killing me! And, when I have to use the star tip to cover a big section, same thing. Is there some type of plunger tool or something that I don't know about? I have another cake coming up soon that will require lots of grass. Would love to have something to make it easier than just the bag!

7 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:33am
post #2 of 8

There is a tip #234 that is a bit larger than #233 that helps cover large areas faster. HTH

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 8

The key is to make sure your buttercream is soft enough that you aren't having to squeeze too hard. It should flow out almost like whipped cream with little squeezing effort on your part. I've covered large areas with stars and grass with no problem.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb3 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I am just weak icon_biggrin.gif I don't want to make my buttercream much softer, because it will not stand up as well. I'll be looking up those different tips!

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 8

when i do grass for a large area i use a garlic press if that is any help i have heard that someone on here also uses a fine ricer

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 8

I always end up having to change out my grass tip because it almost seems like it gets clogged. It doesn't come out with the little grass blades, it comes out as mush. So I have a few and rotate them. No idea why this is happening. Maybe my hands are to warm or something.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 8

Interesting about the larger grass tip! I swear I learn something new on here every day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%