Tall Cake

Decorating By mombabytiger Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 1:40am by mombabytiger

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 5

I want to put a 9-inch two layer cake on top of another 9-inch 2 layer cake, creating one tall cake.

I think I've figured out how to do it, but oh great cake masters: How do I cut it???

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:28am
post #2 of 5

You can cut it like any other 9" layer cake... they just happen to be stacked upon one another. Make sure you use a cake board for every 4" of cake height.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:46am
post #3 of 5

Yep... you're going to do a layer of cake, layer of filling, then a layer of cake. Then I put a thin layer of frosting on the top, dowel the cake, and then put a cake board on top of the frosting. Then do it over again : )
That way when you cut into it, you're just going to be cutting into the top two layers until thats gone.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:27am
post #4 of 5

Yes, I did the same on an Uncle Sam hat cake. One thing I didn't do but will the next time I have a cake like that is put a circle (or square depending on the cake shape) of parchment paper on top of the cake before putting the board and second cake down.
I use only buttercream and I read here that if you do this, it helps keep the icing on top of the cake below and not on the bottom of the board.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much! Great suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%