I Have A Request For A Dark Purple Butter Cream Cake

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 10:32pm by icer101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 9

A friend of mine wants a dark purple butter cream cake. Is it possible? From what I have read is that purple is hard to achieve. I don't have an air brush so that won't be an option. Any help greatly appreciated.

8 replies
cureVHAandCF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cureVHAandCF Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 9

I have wilton food coloring and the purple works great and doesn't change the taste, even with fairly large amounts. Maybe you could make chocolate buttercream and then add the purple food coloring to make it extra dark.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 9

You're right a dark purple is hard to get, if it's not dark enough it will fade to blue. Without the airbrush option I would start with pink icing, adding blue and more pink to increase the color some without adding a bunch of color. When it gets medium dark, that's when I'd add the purple color. I have Americolor Purple and it does do a nice job.

cureVHAandCF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cureVHAandCF Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 9

also i use the folowing sites if I'm making an odd/dark color. They are color mixing charts and tips for wilton colors...

www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm
http://www.slice-heaven.com/store/show/WCMG

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 9

Just FYI- when I used Wilton purple for a Viking themed cake it made the frosting taste HORRIBLE because I had to use so much to get the dark deep purple.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 9

if you make the purple a red purple and not a blue purple, you can probably do it. But warn everyone that they WILL have purple teeth.
Wilton colors are pretty tame, order some Americolor and you may have a chance to get the darker purple. And be sure to add some red and black to it, before adding more and more purple. YOu may have to do it ahead of time and let it sit overnight to darken up before deciding if its dark enough.
If you begin with a small amount of icing and do a test run, that may be your best bet.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather208

Just FYI- when I used Wilton purple for a Viking themed cake it made the frosting taste HORRIBLE because I had to use so much to get the dark deep purple.

I've also had this result with Americolor. My recommendation is pre-colored fondant. It will be a nice deep purple. It will still have some of that bad taste, but you can easily peel it off when you eat the cake.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 9

I've never used them but could you use the Wilton Color Mist sprays to get the purple color you want? I'm not sure if the purple one would give a dark enough color but maybe if you did a little black first and then sprayed the purple on top? I've made dark purple buttercream with the Wilton colors but I just made a small amount for a border and it did have a little bit of an off taste.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%