Video Tutorial - Upside Down Frosting Technique

Decorating By mrsmudrash Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 1:42am by whiteangel

scruffyandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scruffyandstuff Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #31 of 81

Totally excited to try this method. I have used Sharon Z.'s method/dvd's & I am super excited to try this. When I clicked on the video, I was like 15 mins. Oey! But I am super glad I watched it all. I am going to do this on my son's cake this weekend. Thanks again!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:08am
post #32 of 81

Question... since there is not an Ikea locally were can I get turnable similiar to that one for the price ... I call them lazy susan but may be the wrong name.... & also where do you buy the bench scraper....I live close to the greater kansas city area...& have been trying to google to find something similar & Ikea doesn't ship the lazy susan turnable...

TIA

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

Question... since there is not an Ikea locally were can I get turnable similiar to that one for the price ... I call them lazy susan but may be the wrong name.... & also where do you buy the bench scraper....I live close to the greater kansas city area...& have been trying to google to find something similar & Ikea doesn't ship the lazy susan turnable...

TIA

Bummer about the turntable and Ikea not shipping it! Here's a pastry scaper/bench scaper on Amazon...just make sure whatever you get is at least 6" long...and has 90" corners on it...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCNJ/?tag=cakecentral-20

Here's the lazy susan I love: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483

But, since Ikea won't ship it out, here's one just like it...but for a lot more:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00295IH04/?tag=cakecentral-20

Or one for less: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00138Y964/?tag=cakecentral-20

Good luck!

emjay83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emjay83 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #34 of 81

Thanks so much for sharing! I have been wanting to try this technique, and it really helps to have it demonstrated. You did a wonderful job making this video... Great presentation and clear instructions. I would love to see more videos in the future. And your cakes are AMAZING! icon_biggrin.gif

platinumlady Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:53am
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

Quote:

TIA

Bummer about the turntable and Ikea not shipping it! Here's a pastry scaper/bench scaper on Amazon...just make sure whatever you get is at least 6" long...and has 90" corners on it...

Here's the lazy susan I love: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483

But, since Ikea won't ship it out, here's one just like it...but for a lot more:

Good luck!

Thank you ... I finally found a dealer on ebay that has the Ikea 15" for $14 So I'm gonna buy two from him & he is discounting the shipping since I'm ordering more than one. Thanks again for the links and the video

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #36 of 81
Quote:

TIA

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot, or whatever home improvement store you have in your area, go to the paint department and purchase a 6 inch flexible sheet rock taping knife or paint edger or what ever they call it....make sure it has a flexible stainless blade. These have a nice handle and are so much easier to work with than a bench scraper.

As far as a turn table, I just use my regular heavy wilton or ateco one.....you can always invert a large round pan onto it [put a piece of non-slip rubber mat under it] to make a larger surface.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #37 of 81

I got to try this out. My first try will be on a smaller cake, probably esier to handle.thanks for posting.

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:12pm
post #38 of 81

Have you tried this method on square cakes? I'm getting pretty good at the straight corners/edges on the sides of the cake, but the corners on the top supface of the cake sometimes aren't level (you know what I mean...droopy corners). I end up building them up with icing, but I was just wondered if doing them upside down would save me some work.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:33pm
post #39 of 81

I am always up for trying something different.. have known about this method but have never tried it!!!!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:33pm
post #40 of 81

As far as the turntable goes, if you have a Big Lots (owned be WalMart), they usually have some wood turntables really cheap.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:37pm
post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetooth94

Have you tried this method on square cakes? I'm getting pretty good at the straight corners/edges on the sides of the cake, but the corners on the top supface of the cake sometimes aren't level (you know what I mean...droopy corners). I end up building them up with icing, but I was just wondered if doing them upside down would save me some work.

YES DEIFINITELY!!!! This method will give you the most level, sharpest corners you've ever seen on a buttercream cake!

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:38pm
post #42 of 81

WOW! Thank you so much for the great turorial.

mrsmudrash Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:48pm
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetooth94

YES DEIFINITELY!!!! This method will give you the most level, sharpest corners you've ever seen on a buttercream cake!

I agree! - this technique works awesome on square cakes!!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:16pm
post #44 of 81

Okay for all of y'all who have actually done this technique, does it work with ganache? Or just buttercream? (or both?)

mrsmudrash Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:24pm
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Okay for all of y'all who have actually done this technique, does it work with ganache? Or just buttercream? (or both?)

I actually do 75% of my cakes with ganache. It was just easier to show the buttercream because I don't have to worry about the temp of my chocolate for the video! icon_smile.gif But, I use this method all the time and LOVE it for ganache!! Try it...you'll be amazed how sharp your edges are and how easy it is to get straight, smooth sides!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:37pm
post #46 of 81

Will do!! And thanks again for such a lovely video. icon_biggrin.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:48pm
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Will do!! And thanks again for such a lovely video. icon_biggrin.gif

You are so sweet!! Thanks bobwonderbuns!

In fact, thank you everyone for being so kind and saying such nice things about the video...I wanted it to be so helpful!!! I might have to do another video...of what I'm not sure...because it was a fun experience! - although nerve racking! icon_smile.gif

Blessings to you all! icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

Maria46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria46 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:08pm
post #48 of 81

Just had to chime in with my thank you's as well for making this video. You did a great job and I can't wait to try this. Please make more videos when you get the chance.

CakeLady1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLady1981 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm
post #49 of 81

Did this last night....AWESOME!!!

mrsmudrash Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:23pm
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady1981

Did this last night....AWESOME!!!

YEAH! Another fan! icon_smile.gif Was it quicker for you!? - and did you get better results??

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #51 of 81

YAY! I did this for the first time and I have the smoothest, most level cakes I have ever made in my life... not perfect yet, but getting there. Thanks to Jeff Arnett for creating this technique and thanks to mrsmudrash/jessicakes for creating the video tutorial... this totally rocks! icon_smile.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:16am
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisviz

YAY! I did this for the first time and I have the smoothest, most level cakes I have ever made in my life... not perfect yet, but getting there. Thanks to Jeff Arnett for creating this technique and thanks to mrsmudrash/jessicakes for creating the video tutorial... this totally rocks! icon_smile.gif

That is exactly how I felt the first time...I was like, "SERIOUSLY!??!!" That is so awesome!! icon_smile.gif Yeah!! icon_smile.gif I love hearing people are making better cakes just because of this simple technique! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:51am
post #53 of 81

Along the way, a few people have commented that when they peel away the paper from the "top" of the cake, they sometime encounter air holes from bubbles that were in the icing....I don't generally have this problem and I know things like consistency and texture in the icing vary from baker to baker....that said...I set out to find a way to stop this and came up with this idea and it really worked good.....adds about 5 minutes to the process....

When you get ready to ice the board, instead of spreading a thick layer on, apply only the thinnest skim coat of icing. Then pop it in the fridge about 5 minutes to harden, then go back over it with the thicker coat and proceed as usual....and this should help eliminate thos bubbles some of you are getting!

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:22am
post #54 of 81

I followed your tutorial this past weekend...and I have to say...IM HOOKED!!!!! So smooth...such crisp edges...Love, love, love it.....icon_wink.gif Thank you for the video

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:25am
post #55 of 81

Thanks Jeff. I tried this technique, and it worked great for a flat top and perfectly straight sides. With a warm bench scraper I could get the sides very smooth, but I had a lot of trouble at the end getting a really smooth surface on the top. I'll have to try your suggestion and see if it helps.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:45am
post #56 of 81

Great video! I actually saw Jeff's tutorial years ago and used the method once when I needed the top to be white, and the sides to be pink (the 1st birthday cake in my pic), then totally forgot about it. I had my first hexagon shaped cake this last weekend and wasn't so excited about having to get all those nice sharp edges, and then I remembered this technique and it worked out perfectly, I don't know why I don't use it more often! Anyways, very nice video, especially for a first!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:27am
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingkat

Great video! I actually saw Jeff's tutorial years ago and used the method once when I needed the top to be white, and the sides to be pink (the 1st birthday cake in my pic), then totally forgot about it. I had my first hexagon shaped cake this last weekend and wasn't so excited about having to get all those nice sharp edges, and then I remembered this technique and it worked out perfectly, I don't know why I don't use it more often! Anyways, very nice video, especially for a first!

Me too, only my cake was blue and white. The first time I came across Jeff's upside down method was on egullet, then Ladycakes then read raves about how great it works, from a couple gals on Sweet Dreams cake site. Its also in the CC Articles link, and now there's a video of it too.
Can't get better than that! thumbs_up.gif

platinumlady Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:53am
post #58 of 81
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

Quote:

TIA

Good luck!

Thank you ... I finally found a dealer on ebay that has the Ikea 15" for $14 So I'm gonna buy two from him & he is discounting the shipping since I'm ordering more than one. Thanks again for the links and the video

I got all my supplies tried it out today & works great....thanks again for the video

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:17am
post #59 of 81

I so can't wait to try this technique. Thanks for posting it!

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 8:21pm
post #60 of 81

This was wonderful. now how do I add it to a favorites list/ thumbs_up.gifking.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%