Tiara - Royal Icing Vs. Gumpaste

Decorating By obsessed Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 3:05am by obsessed

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 11

I am planning to make a tiara and am just looking for input from those of you whom have made them before...should I make it out of royal icing or out of gumpaste (with extruder)? Is one way better/easier than the other? What are the pros/cons of each, etc.? In general, any info you can give me is much appreciated.... TIA!

10 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 11

Unless you're very good at piping, the gumpaste tiara would be a LOT easier than the royal icing one. And I think it would come out a lot more evenly and be a lot sturdier. Good luck with it - be sure to post a pic when you're done!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 11

I went by this one,

HTH

obsessed Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:11am
post #4 of 11

Thanks so much to all FOUR of you for your input. icon_smile.gif I guess I'll give the gumpaste a whirl. Thanks again!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:18am
post #5 of 11

Yes, extruder or option 3: Chocolate!

Marianna46 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 11

But unless you have a mold, chocolate poses the same problems as royal icing: you have to pipe it.

EmmyNoah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyNoah Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 11

I am also now making a tiara for the first time. I am going to try it both ways. I have started the first one with royal icing and like it. I also tried to do the same pattern in gumpaste, but had a harder time, so what I think I am going to do now is get a simpler pattern for the gumpaste version.

Marianna46 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 11

EmmyNoah, you're a braver person than I am! I can just see RI going all over the place in my kitchen!

EmmyNoah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyNoah Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 11

Actually, I was afraid of the same thing, but no - not at all. You use stiff royal icing and I haven using a number 3 tip and it is working fine. . . so faricon_smile.gif I did have a couple break on me in the beginning, but once I got the hang of it, it's not so bad.

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 11

I've done the RI tiara before and it was pretty easy to do. I just made sure that my design was simple and connected. and never use anything smaller than a #5 tip.

The gumpaste seems more difficult to me just because I don't have a good extruder so by the time I squeeze out a 12" rope I'm done. or if i put "enough" shortening to make it go easier the gumpaste never dries. Also you may have the extra step of having to glue the rope to attach it to itself.

obsessed Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:05am
post #11 of 11

Yay! More responses! Thanks girls!! To me, RI seems "faster" than gumpaste would be but more fragile. I also agree that a gumpaste design needs to be simpler, I think... But really, what do I know? After all, I posted the question on CC! LOL I might just try both as well...I have more piping experience than I do extruding but I like the look of the gumpaste....I'm torn! Chocolate didn't even occur to me...I have limited modeling chocolate experience so I think I can safely rule that out. Thanks all! Please let me know if you have any more ideas/tips/input.... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%