Anyone Have A Recipe For A "kahlua Cream" Kind Of

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 5:46pm by cakesnglass

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 20

Preferably where it does not need refrigeration.

TIA

19 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 20

Why not just add some Kahlua to your buttercream? Or find a coffee shop that sells DaVinci syrups and pick up some Kahlua coffee syrup (non-alcohol.)

CiNoRi Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Why not just add some Kahlua to your buttercream? Or find a coffee shop that sells DaVinci syrups and pick up some Kahlua coffee syrup (non-alcohol.)

I thought about doing that with m BC... but I was hoping to find something more creamy, less sugary... just something different icon_wink.gif

My plan is to do a rich chocolate cake, chocolate ganache outside, then the filling inside. icon_wink.gif

Doing this for with BC is a good backup plan though. thanks!

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 20

I do a great Kahlua mousse that doesn't need refrigeration.

2 cups liquid bettercream
1 small package instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup kahula flavored sugar free coffee syrup

Put all in mixer with whisk attachent and let it whip until thick and mouse like, holds up gream. Any extra you have can be frozen for later use.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:35am
post #5 of 20

Can you add it to SMBC or IMBC? That is less sugary.

It is easier to brush the cake with the liqueur and add it to the filling too.

CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranda

Put all in mixer with whisk attachent and let it whip until thick and mouse like, holds up gream. Any extra you have can be frozen for later use.

Have you ever tried using real kahkua?

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Can you add it to SMBC or IMBC? That is less sugary.

It is easier to brush the cake with the liqueur and add it to the filling too.

I have added Kahlua to SMBC before it worked for me on a few occasions then one time it all separated and looked curdled and no matter what I did it would not mix together properly I am thinking it may of been a temperature thing but I have no idea for sure.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 20

CiNoRi

I have never used real Khalua just because I wanted it non-alcoholic and since it wasn't going to be cooked I went with the coffee flavoring.

scp1127 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:09am
post #9 of 20

Kahlua is only 20% alcohol and vanilla is 35%... 70 proof... much higher than any liqueur. You can also reduce the liqueur to cook out even more alcohol, leaving a concentrated flavor.

luvbuttercream I can only get the equivalent of an extract in the frostings. That is why I brush it on the cake. After the flavors meld, you don't realize there is so little in the actual frosting. I have not reduced Kahlua mainly because I use a great espresso powder that tastes great in frostings when it's just sprinkled in. The little dots look like vanilla beans. So coupled with a little Kahlua in the frosting and the espresso powder, plus the brushing, I can get as much as I want in flavor intensity. This method would work for custard bases too, but in those, you can add more liquid. Just add some cornstarch if you want a little insurance.

CiNoRi Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Kahlua is only 20% alcohol and vanilla is 35%... 70 proof... much higher than any liqueur. You can also reduce the liqueur to cook out even more alcohol, leaving a concentrated flavor.

luvbuttercream I can only get the equivalent of an extract in the frostings. That is why I brush it on the cake. After the flavors meld, you don't realize there is so little in the actual frosting. I have not reduced Kahlua mainly because I use a great espresso powder that tastes great in frostings when it's just sprinkled in. The little dots look like vanilla beans. So coupled with a little Kahlua in the frosting and the espresso powder, plus the brushing, I can get as much as I want in flavor intensity. This method would work for custard bases too, but in those, you can add more liquid. Just add some cornstarch if you want a little insurance.

What is this espresso powder you use?

scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 20

Megdalia D'Oro

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:

I just made this and it turned out rather soupy... and suggestions?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Quote:

Did you whip it until it was stiff and then it turned soupy? Sometimes it will separate after a while but just whip it back up again.

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Quote:

Did you whip it until it was stiff and then it turned soupy? Sometimes it will separate after a while but just whip it back up again.

I used the prewhipped stuff.... Think I screwed up?

GrandmaG Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:48pm
post #15 of 20

I think that recipe only works with the liquid Bettercreme. For some reason it works better to whip the flavorings up with the liquid Bettercreme at the same time. icon_smile.gif

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 20

[quote="GrandmaG"]I think that recipe only works with the liquid Bettercreme. For some reason it works better to whip the flavorings up with the liquid Bettercreme at the same time. icon_smile.gif[/quote

Cruds

GrandmaG Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 20

I'm not an expert on Bettercreme. I've always used the liquid but here's a thread on it. Melvira is the Queen of Bettercreme!
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-601193-0.html

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm
post #18 of 20

Moranda may I ask are you able to use this filling in cake night before and leave out in an a/c room to serve the next day?? without bettercream breaking down?

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnglass

Moranda may I ask are you able to use this filling in cake night before and leave out in an a/c room to serve the next day?? without bettercream breaking down?

Yeah its fine, I use Betercreme all the time this way once it is in a filled cake it can sit at room temp for up to 5 days

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:46pm
post #20 of 20

Thank you CiNoRi for quick response. I want to try this out tonight icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%