Help!!

Baking By kmunchy Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 12:51am by LindaF144a

kmunchy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmunchy Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:24am
post #1 of 19

We recently found out that my daughter is both diary and soy allergic. Next week is her birthday. I found a boiled icing recipe off of wilton's site but it doesn't sound too tasty. I need a cake recipe that will go well with a soy free dairy free (so no butter OR shortening) frosting. . . Please help. I've only ever used butter cream or MMF...

18 replies
cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:48am
post #2 of 19

My first thought was a scratch angel food cake, or wacky chocolate cake, both are dairy and soy free. MMF doesn't have dairy or soy, does it? If you make it with milk, you could use water, rice, or almond milk.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:35am
post #3 of 19

Why no shortening? Isn't it all vegetable? Seems to me one could make all shortening buttercream. To help the flavoring, increase the vanilla - or whatever flavoring you are using - to at least 2 Tablespoons per recipe that uses 2#s of sugar.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 19

I make a BC with all vegetable shortening. I add lots of vanilla and butter flavor. I left the butter flavor out a few times and it still tasted fine.

SarahBeth3 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:44am
post #5 of 19

Just got my all-vegetable shortening out and the first ingredient is "Partially hydrogenated soybean oil." Scratch that idea! Sounds like you might have already know that though. I got out the regular shortening (you know the kind made from meat fats AND vegetable oils) and I don't see soy listed in that.

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:06am
post #6 of 19

I am not vegan, but have tons of friends who are. I do have dairy issues, but so far i've been okay with the butter in the icing.

Get the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It has Vegan cupcakes, and vegan buttercream. Soy milk is what it uses. I love the recipes. I've tried quite a few of them. You can easily use the recipes for a layer cake and frosting.

I intend to quickly switch to vegan, as soon as i learn all the techniques. But not do stritly vegan, but know how to do it. It'd be awesome to bring cakes to my vegan friends.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569242739/?tag=cakecentral-20

kmunchy Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Why no shortening? Isn't it all vegetable? Seems to me one could make all shortening buttercream. To help the flavoring, increase the vanilla - or whatever flavoring you are using - to at least 2 Tablespoons per recipe that uses 2#s of sugar.

yes vegetable shortening is vegetable based but soy is a vegetable and it is made almost entirely from hydrogenated soybean oil generally vegetable oil is soybean oil.

kmunchy Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 19

If I use a MMF how do I get it to stick without a layer of frosting?? That's why I hadn't before because I was taught to do a thin layer of frosting or it won't stick. . .

ame120103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ame120103 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 19

I made a small cake with MMF only for a lactose free baby and yes it had some minor lumps but stayed on just fine with out the buttercream. If the cake is pretty moist it should hold fine. It's the small Elmo smash cake in my pics.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 19

You could also brush the cake with some strained apricot preserves, slightly warmed, before applying fondant.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunchy

If I use a MMF how do I get it to stick without a layer of frosting?? That's why I hadn't before because I was taught to do a thin layer of frosting or it won't stick. . .

How about warming some jam and spreading that over the cake to get the icing to stick better

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 19

You could use fruit jelly under your fondant (not jam...this would make your fondant lumpy).

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunchy

Quote:

yes vegetable shortening is vegetable based but soy is a vegetable and it is made almost entirely from hydrogenated soybean oil generally vegetable oil is soybean oil.

Spectrum shortening, usually found in the organic or whole food section of a local grocer, is made with all palm oil. It is 100% gluten, vegan. I prefer it over Crisco or other soy based shortenings because it is not made with soy.

SarahBeth3 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 19

What about marzipan? I think only the cheaper marzipan has soy in it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 19

.............yes vegetable shortening is vegetable based but soy is a vegetable and it is made almost entirely from hydrogenated soybean oil generally vegetable oil is soybean oil..............

Oh of ocurse icon_sad.gif I wasn't really thinking htere. I guess it didn't accure to me because I don't have to worry about it.

.........Spectrum shortening,....is made with all palm oil. It is 100% gluten, vegan.......

Now, this I would have a problem w/as I'm allergic to coconut icon_sad.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:48pm
post #16 of 19

Did you search a recipe for cake and icing here on CC?, I was asked to make a gluten-free cake and found a very good recipe here as well as an icing recipe. The ingredients were a bit expensive, but the customer was extremely happy. Good Luck! princess.gif

jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm
post #17 of 19

I would think you could use the palm shortening and either fruit juice of some kind or almond milk to replace the ingredients that she can't have and it should turn out great. My daughter has food allergies, and its amazing how creating you have to get sometimes to make things work. Good luck to you!

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm
post #18 of 19

check http://nondairynonsoy.blogspot.com/2010/05/icing.html
they say - Coconut fat is solid at room temperature. Hallelujah. Melt it in the microwave, stir in powdered sugar until it's as thick as you like, ice that cake and let it cool. This is not big, fluffy buttercream frosting but it is a way to coat a layer of sweet on something.

They also have Ana's Organic Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Zucchini Cake

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 12:51am
post #19 of 19
Quote:

.............yes vegetable shortening is vegetable based but soy is a vegetable and it is made almost entirely from hydrogenated soybean oil generally vegetable oil is soybean oil..............

Oh of ocurse icon_sad.gif I wasn't really thinking htere. I guess it didn't accure to me because I don't have to worry about it.

.........Spectrum shortening,....is made with all palm oil. It is 100% gluten, vegan.......

Now, this I would have a problem w/as I'm allergic to coconut icon_sad.gif

To not confuse things. The OP said nothing about being allergic to coconut. She was looking for products that worked for her needs. So therefore Spectrum shortening would work for her, which is what I was telling her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%