Question Re: Flower Paste

Decorating By horuswaspretty Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 3:15pm by Valkstar

horuswaspretty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horuswaspretty Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 8

Hello. I have only just got into cake decorating so am new to all the materials and techniques. I recently ordered some flower paste so I could have a go at making some flowers. Im not sure when it was delivered as I didnt get a card through the door or anything. Anyway, it was left in my back garden for an unknow period in the heat and im worried that it may have been effected. I have not opened it but from feeling it through the foil packaging it is very, very hard. It takes a lot of force to make a dent in it. As I said im new to this so im not sure if this is normal or not. I dont want to make a complaint to the place I brought it from as it could well be normal. So is this right? Orhas the heat made it harden? Thank you for any help you can give me.

7 replies
tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 8

It should not be hard. It should be soft and pliable. It is only going to get harder once it is opened and exposed to air.

horuswaspretty Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for the help. I thought this was the case but wanted to check before contacting the seller as it was obviously the courier at fault and not them so wanted to be sure before I contacted them.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:03am
post #4 of 8

Why don't you make your own it's less expensive and works wonderfully. Four large egg whites, 12 teaspoons Tylose powder, 1/4 cup shortening and 2 pounds powdered sugar. Let rest in fridge for 24 hours before use.

horuswaspretty Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:38am
post #5 of 8

That will be the plan in the long run, but as I have never used it before I just wanted some ready made stuff to play with. Thanks for the recipe though icon_smile.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:25am
post #6 of 8

It depends on the brand.

I buy some which is in a foil pouch and it ALWAYS feels solid and really needs some working on before you can use it!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:22am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by horuswaspretty

Hello. I have only just got into cake decorating so am new to all the materials and techniques. I recently ordered some flower paste so I could have a go at making some flowers. Im not sure when it was delivered as I didnt get a card through the door or anything. Anyway, it was left in my back garden for an unknow period in the heat and im worried that it may have been effected. I have not opened it but from feeling it through the foil packaging it is very, very hard. It takes a lot of force to make a dent in it. As I said im new to this so im not sure if this is normal or not. I dont want to make a complaint to the place I brought it from as it could well be normal. So is this right? Orhas the heat made it harden? Thank you for any help you can give me.

I actually find flower paste to be exactly as you described. Very hard to put a dent in it. That's with the Sugar Florist Paste brand. Being out in the sun won't make the slightest bit of difference to the paste. If anything it will make it softer, but I doubt it got hot enough for that. It won't spoil from being out in the sun. The only way it hardens is by being left in the air. It gets crumbly when it is dry.

Re: Making your own... I have made both Gumpaste and added tylose to fondant and neither compare to the consistency of Flower Paste. They'll do the same job but I prefer the texture of flower paste.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 8

That sounds normal to me. I buy one in the foil package and it's always hard. Just break off a piece and knead it for a few minutes and it'll be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%