What Are The Secrets To Delivering A Very Heavy Cake?

Decorating By pheonix31571 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 8:06pm by TexasSugar

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

I just delivered a cake that was 14,10, 6 double tiered it was a total of 18 inches tall. What kind of support would be best for that kind of cake and what is the best one to deliver it? My boyfriend carried it, but it was a think foam board but buckled on the sides. It was all buttercream

Thank you for all your advice.

icon_smile.gif Linda

5 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Linda,

You were smart to bring your boyfriend with you. I recommend SPS as a structural support to use with cakes. It's cheap, easy to use, and very sturdy. There is a sticky under the Cake Decorating forum that has a tutorial of how to use it. For the cake base, I always use a cake drum that I buy from my local cake supply store. Very sturdy. To transport a heavy cake from my SUV inside, I always ask the venue if I can use one of their carts. Most venues will have one. Then, I have help lifting the cake from the SUV to the cart, roll it into the venue and then have help lifting the cake to the table. I know that some cakers even have their own collapsable carts that they take with them on deliveries, which is another option. HTH!

KalliCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalliCakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 6

You can also get a piece of plywood and put the cake with the foam board base on it, use this when carrying it/transferring it from place to place if you want to keep using foam board.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalliCakes

You can also get a piece of plywood and put the cake with the foam board base on it, use this when carrying it/transferring it from place to place if you want to keep using foam board.

Great tip! icon_smile.gif

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 6

I think that I will be some plywood in my future ; ) As for the sps I will have to learn more about the use of it and I need something that doesn't cost alot and that I don't have to go back and make arrangements on picking it up. How do you keep the cake from sliding on the plywood base though?

Thanks so much.

Linda thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 6

Also when carrying the cake, make sure your hands are under the middle of the cake, not the under the sides of the boards where there is no cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%