New Wilton Silicone Molds???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 15 Jul 2013 , 12:01am by howsweet

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 41

Hi Cakers!

Has anyone used the new Wilton silicone fondant molds yet? If so, what do you think of them?

Do you have any cake pics of cakes with the new mold designs to share??

Thanks,

Michael

40 replies
LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 41

I used the global wilton molds on the last cake I did, its the one that has the koi on the front. The cake had two sides and on the backside I did a kind of wooden temple theme. I used two of the molds together to make the edge trim. I really like them and found them easy to use. icon_smile.gif

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 41

I just bought a couple of them at micheals,haven't used them though but they look great and a lot cheaper than the other very expencive ones

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 41

I just used them on a cake for today...no pics yet because I can't assemble the cake until I get there.

These are the flowers I've made with the new wilton gumpaste cutters and flower impression mat:

The only non-wilton cutter I used was the large ivy leaf. I used wilton's new petal dusts too.

About the molds, they're super-easy to use with gumpaste. With homemade MMF, I found that adding tylose was the easiest way to get the fondant to work well in the mold.

Mikel79 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWmn223

I used the global wilton molds on the last cake I did, its the one that has the koi on the front. The cake had two sides and on the backside I did a kind of wooden temple theme. I used two of the molds together to make the edge trim. I really like them and found them easy to use. icon_smile.gif

Awesome Cake!!! Added to the fav's. Great job on the molds!!!

Thank you for sharing!

Michael

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 41

do you have a link to the new molds? i tried to search for them on the wilton website but no luck except for the regular silcone pans (hearts, etc...)

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 41

I bought one too that I used for a recent cake. Unfortunately, I don't have pics at the moment to post, but the molds are extremely easy to use. I wish there was a greater selection though. Maybe Wilton will come out with more in the future.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:10am
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I just used them on a cake for today...no pics yet because I can't assemble the cake until I get there.

These are the flowers I've made with the new wilton gumpaste cutters and flower :

The only non-wilton cutter I used was the large ivy leaf. I used wilton's new petal dusts too.

About the molds, they're super-easy to use with gumpaste. With homemade MMF, I found that adding tylose was the easiest way to get the fondant to work well in the mold.

Good Job on the flowers! Please share the cake when complete!

Michael

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:23am
post #10 of 41

They are great! Best of all you can use the coupon, I got the one with the buttons and it was so easy to use, I think I will get them all icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 41

I haven't used them yet, but it took me 2 weeks to get all 4 of them. The baroque one has been a hot, hot seller. Finally got it yesterday afternoon. AC Moore and Michael's were completely sold out each time I went to buy them. Finally got it a Hobby Lobby yesterday afternoon. Can't wait to try them out icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Good Job on the flowers! Please share the cake when complete!

Michael

Here's the cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2057453

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 41

Beautiful cake,
will definitely buy them.

LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 41

Thank you so much Mikel79 icon_smile.gif

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 41

I have the Barouke mold and I LOVE it, I have used it for 2 cakes and they are the 2 most recent ones in my gallery, the coconut cake I used the rose mold and the smallest scroll and the scroll impression set from wilton as well and the little mermaid cake I used the pearl mold for the border on the bottom, I have found that it helps to put ALOT of powder sugar on the mold for the fondant or gumpaste or else its kinda hard to get the pearls out still intact.. once you get the hang of using the molds they are super easy. I fell in love with molds when I bought the first impressions baby mold. now I want more and more LOL

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 7:28pm
post #16 of 41
YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm
post #17 of 41

I bought mine at Joanns and they seem to always have all 4 in stock. I used the baroque on the this graduation cake and loved it!

YummyCreations Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:00pm
post #18 of 41

The picture did not upload. Here's the url:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2040850

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:48pm
post #19 of 41

I used one last week. It's great. Customer loved it. I plan to get the rest.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R_Ermxhrs7hYo7kNKpLRiw?feat=directlink

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:05pm
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCreations

The picture did not upload. Here's the url:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2040850

I love this cake! I did not realize Wilton had this mold!! I have to check hobby lobby out and see if they have this one in stock!

Michael

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:19pm
post #21 of 41

I used the baroque mold and my fondant got stuck in it. I dusted them like the directions said and some of the fondant got stuck. What did I do wrong?

Any suggestions or help?

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

YummyCreations Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:51pm
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

I used the baroque mold and my fondant got stuck in it. I dusted them like the directions said and some of the fondant got stuck. What did I do wrong?

Any suggestions or help?

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

I dust them heavily with powder sugar. Then I roll the fondant into a little snake and press it into the mold (it helps if you powder your fingers too so the fondant doesn't stick to them) and use a pin tool to carefully lift the fondant out. It can get tricky at times and some of them require a couple of attempts. Good luck!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:15pm
post #23 of 41
Quote:

I also found that you could just pop it in the freezer for a couple of minutes and it just pops out without the worry of distortion. I have 3 of the first four and think I will get the fern one.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:20pm
post #24 of 41

I have several of these molds and try to get them with the 40% off coupon. My favorite way to use them is with chocolate for decorations. I have not had much luck using fondant but love them for chocolate. I used the zipper mold to make a chocolate zipper that I pressed into the fondant as an impression and used the baroque broach and jewels for my purse cake. I just melt candy melts in piping bag with a heating pad, fill the mold, tap it to release air bubbles and place in the fridge to firm up. They pop right out Needed to tap this one a bit longer! LOL!
LL

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:49pm
post #25 of 41

I actually found they work better if you grease it with a little shortening. Whenever I'd use powdered sugar with my MMF it would stick. Since using shortening instead, it never sticks.

HTH

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:57pm
post #26 of 41

I agree with JWinslow. I place mine in the freezer and have no problem getting them out. I need to get the fern one, but have the rest.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 1:14am
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

These are the flowers I've made with the new wilton gumpaste cutters and flower :

Those look really good...How do the new petal dusts compare to the old ones? I never liked the Wilton petal dusts, but those look like the color is better than they used to be.

Mickeebabe Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 2:09am
post #28 of 41

So the fondant doesn't get wet or sticky or anything? If you have to make several of the same shape from the mold, so you have to wait for the mold to dry before you add more fondant and put it in the freezer again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow

Quote:

I also found that you could just pop it in the freezer for a couple of minutes and it just pops out without the worry of distortion. I have 3 of the first four and think I will get the fern one.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 3:09am
post #29 of 41

The fondant will have condensation on it right after getting it out of the freezer, but you let it dry and it's fine. I always wait until the mold is dry before filling it with more fondant as it seems to be harder to get the fondant in without it sticking to your fingers and it doesn't want to stay in the mold if the mold is damp.

Mickeebabe Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 3:39am
post #30 of 41

Thank you. I'm using the baroque one and the shapes are kind of delicate and I'm hoping the freezer will help keep their shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

The fondant will have condensation on it right after getting it out of the freezer, but you let it dry and it's fine. I always wait until the mold is dry before filling it with more fondant as it seems to be harder to get the fondant in without it sticking to your fingers and it doesn't want to stay in the mold if the mold is damp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%