Buttercream Question

Decorating By cakebaker123 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm by heartsnsync

cakebaker123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker123 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake that will be covered in fondant and transported half way across the country, soit would be unrefrigerated for 5 days before it is eaten. Normally I use Italian Meringue icing, but I need to find something that can sit out longer without going bad. I picked up a bucket of CK Buttercream, but before I opened it, I read that it should be refrigerated after opening. Does anyone have experience with this icing to know how it would hold up between the cake and fondant if it sits out for 5 days?

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know about the CK buttercream but a 5 day old cake could start to mold.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker123

I picked up a bucket of CK Buttercream, but before I opened it, I read that it should be refrigerated after opening.

I'm not familiar with CK BC, but I'd guess that's probably a suggestion for how to store it after it's opened if not using the remainder for quite a while. I'd call CK to ask your questions.

IMO, cake tastes best between days 3-5 after the BC has a chance to really seal in the moisture. I've never seen a cake grow mold unless it was two weeks old.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker123

I am making a cake that will be covered in fondant and transported half way across the country, soit would be unrefrigerated for 5 days before it is eaten. Normally I use Italian Meringue icing, but I need to find something that can sit out longer without going bad. I picked up a bucket of CK Buttercream, but before I opened it, I read that it should be refrigerated after opening. Does anyone have experience with this icing to know how it would hold up between the cake and fondant if it sits out for 5 days?

A 2:1 ratio of butter and icing sugar will hold up well for quite a few days - the icing sugar does preserve it. Obviously the closer you can make the cake to the event the better but underneath fondant never had a problem (fingers crossed!) HTH

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 6

Does it have to be buttercream? What about chocolate ganache with a buttercream filling?

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6

In January I did my daughter's wedding cake. Because of her design there was a lot of cake left over. Matter of fact, 2/3 of her bottom tier was taken home. We left it out covered on the counter and my family (mostly my teen sons!) ate on it for a week until it was all gone. I specifically paid attention to see if the butter cream and cake stayed moist and if it got "funky". It did not. The butter cream was a 2:1 ratio of butter to shortening using water as the liquid and then confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract.

However, it was winter and we keep out house at about 68 degrees so that may have helped matters. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%