Whoa....color-Changing Fondant!

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 2:55am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #1 of 3

Okay I've seen this on here before but it never happened to me...but today I was making a hot pink colored fondant, using some pink Satin Ice as well as FondX mixed with Americolors electric pink, deep pink, and fuchsia. It matched pretty well and I covered the cake and did some decorations.

Later, I found the hot pink was turning purple!!! I guess the purple tint in the Fuchsia must have soaked in better or something...but I was like...NOT GOOD! But then some of the fondant seemed to have stayed the same color...the fondant that was actually touching the cake was a bit brighter than the decorations. Luckily I was able to add more bright pink to it and do some of the decorations, and I went over the one purplish tier with some brighter pink airbrush and hoping it does not dry funky. Then am going to go ahead and pearl the whole cake even though its supposed to be pretty bright colors, I think a light pearl will be okay.

What's the deal? Are there certain colors that take awhile to "age"? I'm hoping I do not wake up in the morning with a funky colored cake...its WAY too big of a cake to mess up the colors....

2 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:37am
post #2 of 3

I've had colors FADE--esp. purple. Having the color get darker is really weird.

I do know that when coloring BC a dark color it will mature & darken overnight.

Keep the pearl dust & the airbrush ready. Hope it goes well.

Kristy

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #3 of 3

Hm no it didn't really get darker...it just got more purple instead of hot pink. Weird. And I know its not my imagination because the stuff I covered the cake with stayed fairly pink but then the exact same fondant I went back later to put color-on-color decorations, and it was clearly a shade of purple. WEIRD.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%