Large Cake...triple Or Make Separate?

Baking By Meech46 Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 3:44am by mfoxx9

Meech46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meech46 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

I need to make a 14x14 cake for graduation...have 4sheets of pictures to cut and place on the cake. Should I prep each batter one at a time and then combined or can I triple it in the mixer?

5 replies
lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 6

How big is your mixer? That is a lot of batter! I make mine separate...would rather have one mess up, instead of the whole thing...the oven could be off, you could be interrupted, or some other thing happens (which always seems to come up)...

HH84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HH84 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:20am
post #3 of 6

Hi,when I made a 14inch layer for the bottom tier I think I used 6xmy recipes-which was a rather small batter anyway but I made it in batches of 2,so just doubling it at a time then combining it. I did try it to triple it once not so great,so think I would stick to doubling it, but would depend on the size of your recipe too I suppose...?

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:03am
post #4 of 6

i wouldn't triple a cake recipe. doubling is ok but then it starts to get all wonky with the chemestry and stuff. i know people who triple and even quadruple and have no issues but something always come up for me. i would just make double batches to be safe HTH!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meech46

can I triple it in the mixer?

You can triple it, or more... whatever it takes to fill your mixer.

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 6

I just made a triple batch in my 6 qt. KA tonight. Filled it to the brim. The cakes are still in the oven, but I'll let you know how they turn out. After mixing, there were more air bubbles than usual, but I hope I got rid of those by banging the pans on the counter before they went in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%