Gum Paste Flower Cutters

Decorating By mike83 Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 2:16am by SarahBeth3

mike83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mike83 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #1 of 6

Ok so the next step I want to take to advance my skills as a decorator is with flowers. I am doing a wedding cake next month and I want to use some of the money to purchase cutters and veiners. My question to all of you is which flowers do you find most important/popular. I don't want to buy the wilton set because for one I want stainless steel so that I know they will last me forever without dulling, and two I don't want to buy a set if I'm not going to use all of them. So your recommendations for which flowers, which sizes, and best place to order from is very much appreciated.

5 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:19am
post #2 of 6

Roses are always popular. You can make those with round cutters. Edna de LeCruz (Design Me a Cake) has wonderful tutorials on You Tube on how to make those. SugarTeachers Blogspot has numberous tutorials on there. I used theirs to learn to make carnations.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:36am
post #3 of 6

I know you said you don't want the Wilton set but their new flower set is so much better than their last set. With a Michaels coupon you can get it fairly cheap. These are good for just starting out. I am glad that I purchased the Wilton before I spent a lot of money on good cutters. These cutters are a good way to practice to see if flower making is something you want to venture in. HTH and good luck.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 6

I like my metal rose cutter set from Sugar Craft. It has 6 different petal cutters in 6 sizes, the largest being 2." You can make a variety of different size roses. I also bought the large rose petal veiner.

Don't forget to order wire, too.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:44am
post #5 of 6

I agree with Jaimelt76 that the Wilton set is a good place to start.

Plastic cutters have a HUGE advantage over metal in two ways 1) they won't rust 2) they don't bend like the metal ones can.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:16am
post #6 of 6

For roses I use a Jem 5 petal cutter. SOOOO much easier that then circles (I think) and I am able to achieve a more organic effect that way too. Here's a few videos on how to use it:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%