Cricut Cake!!! Now What

Decorating By Charmed Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 5:07pm by cs_confections

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 13

Okay I bought the cricut cake few months ago and I was waiting to use it after we moved so it was in storage. I just went to SCAL site to buy the software and it is no longer available for Cricut machines.... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Now what Am I going to do?? is there another software similar to SCAL that I can use with Cricut cake machine? I don't think I can return the cricut and get my money back.....(after 4 months!!)

12 replies
snowballwinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowballwinters Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 13

no worries, purchase Fairy Cut. I just did last night and it works great with my cricut cake! If you sign up for the newsletter you will get a 20% discount.
www.fairycut.com

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 13

I already have SCAL loaded on my computer but have not had time to use it with my Cricut. Will it still work?

snowballwinters Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 13

It should work still if it worked in the past. If you update your cricut firmware to the latest then SCAL won't work with it. Also only SCAL version 1 and 2 work with cricuts, version 3 won't.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 13

I have actually never used it at all. I received it for Christmas, installed it but never had time to use it. Hopefully it will work!

snowballwinters Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 13

Just found out that Fairy Cut version 1 that works with cricut will no longer be available after June 13, 2011!

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 13

Does anyone know why this is happening?.....something from the Cricut developer/manufacturer to make us have to use their cartridges?? or maybe not enough interest in the other programs to warrant their continued offering? Just asking!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

Does anyone know why this is happening?.....something from the developer/manufacturer to make us have to use their cartridges?? or maybe not enough interest in the other programs to warrant their continued offering? Just asking!

ProvoCraft (makers of Cricut products) has sued all of these companies, who found "back doors" into the machines, allowing their software to work. PC won the suits for copyright violation, etc, and the other companies had to cease and desist.

PC has a new software program available, allowing you to create designs using any cartridge. However, in order to cut, you must own the cartridge. This allows you to try out combinations, etc, before investing.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks Lcubed82....I suspected it may be something like that....too bad too....it gave potential purchasers of the Cricut machines additional outlets for their creativity. I think I'm not alone in not liking the proprietary nature of these machines. I see PC has also come out with a Mini Cake machine.

snowballwinters Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 13

Last night I used my cricut with the Fairy Cut software. I was very, very happy with the results. I wouldn't have purchased a cricut cake if I hadn't had the option to get the software. I really recommend everyone purchase the software now before they update and can't support the cricut machines.

I would understand PC's complaint IF the machines were reasonably priced or the cartridges where more reasonably priced, but to charge so much for both products puts the craft well out of reach for many.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 13

I have had my cricut since the night that they were brought out to the public. I could only afford it through HSN 5 payment method (way I buy so much) but the prices for the cartridges are outrageous. My neighbor is an avid scrap book person so I do have access to other cartridges but not always the one that I would like. And I am not having much success with the cricut anyway. But neighbor offered to come over and help me understand what does what but we haven't had schedules that match.
She has a website that she purchases many of her cartridges and said she would share, that most are around 17.00 or less... much better than 40.00
or more. I have seen many on ebay that start for 99 cents and end up around 20.00 new and that is also better than 49.00 -69.00
I will post the website when I get it.
what I don't understand is how do you adapt all these web sites into the cricut and does it do anything to the cricut so you can't use the cartridges? I am totaly lost about how this is done I went to the website that is listed here something fly.. and didnt understand at all ..... but again I had been working for about 18 hrs straight and I think my brain was fried... so maybe someone could explain.... anyway I will post as soon as I can

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 13

At the bottom of the Fairy Cut page, there is a box to sign up for their newsletter and you'll get a 20% rebate. It just takes a second to sign up and I was immediately emailed my coupon code for the rebate after I confirmed the subscription. Hope that helps someone else save $20!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 13

That's what I get for speedreading and jumping to their site! I see that snowballwinters already pointed that out! icon_redface.gif Well, I was making double sure you see that you can save $$ icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%