Ps Lumps In Mmf

Baking By Lovin_Cakes30 Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm by 10xHigh

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 5

Even when I sift I still get PS lumps in my fondant! I try to squeeze all the litte hard lumps out but wow my hands hurt after! Is this just something I will have to live with using MMF or is there something I can do???

TIA

4 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 5

Coat it really well with shortening, double wrap it, seal it and try putting the MMF into the fridge to rest overnight. Let it come back to room temperature before using it. The bumps/lumps of PS should melt and incorporate into the MMF while it rests. HTH!

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 5

Oh wow I am gonna try that! Thank you for the advice! So much easier then giving my hands a tough workout! lol

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 5

I've had this happen when I used cold PS that had been stored in the fridge...I guess adding it to warm, melted MM's created little stones.

10xHigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
10xHigh Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 5

This also could be caused by two other things. Heating mini mm too long tends to cause what looks like hard plastic bits. to avoid this I use the larger marshmallows (Jetpuff)16oz bag. I pour 4 tbs of bottle water over the top microwave 30 sec stir and heat another 30 stir and do another 20 if needed. comes out smooth everytime. The other issue I have had happen was when I use a cheaper marshmellow(like walmart brand) and i use my stronger (90% alcohol)grade flavors a chemical reaction happens and the mm sizzle and cause the same plastic bits as over heating....it is the craziest thing...not what you want to happen at three in the morning and it happens to be the last bag of mm...lol not sure if my comment helps just figured I would throw out another trouble shooting idea icon_smile.gif

PS: I store each batch wrapped in plastic and stored in a large recycled fondant tub. That way i can stick to my pricing since I know how many batches I need to cover my project.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%