What Is The Best Way To Make...

Decorating By Holdoll Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm by Holdoll

Holdoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holdoll Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 6

the flat side of the graduation cap? I was going to use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste for the round part and tassel. Should I just roll out the gumpaste flat and cut it to size or make it out of RKT and cover it? Or something completely different? I would appreciate any suggestions! I am a novice and this is for my nephews graduation cake.

5 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 6

I am sure you are talking about the Mortar board, you can either use cardboard, or a thin piece of foamcore board, you can buy the foamcore from Walmart or any craft store, not the 1/2 in thick ones, then you cut it to the size that you need, and then cover with fondant, HTH.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 6

I just covered a piece of cardboard with fondant. I think I put a little piping gel on the cardboard to help it stick.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 6

i used modeling chocolate. just put it in the refrigerator and it will get solid hard if you use all chocolate be even best. icon_smile.gif as long as it stays out of the sun!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 6

I would just use gumpaste or fondant with tylose, giving it plenty of time to dry hard. Once it is hard it will be fine. Or if you are in a time pinch, cover cardboard or foam core. HTH

Holdoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holdoll Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 6

I used what I had on hand which was cardboard and mixed tylose in with the fondant. I will let them dry overnight before wrapping in bubble wrap and packing away unassembled. I have to drive across two states with them next week so I think I will bring extra with me in case there's a problem. icon_smile.gif

Next time I think I will try my hand at the chocolate.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%