What's Wrong With A Simple Fondant Recipe For Covering?

Decorating By scooteruk Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm by enchantedcreations

scooteruk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scooteruk Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 10

Hi

I learned how to make fondant roses from chocolate and light corn syrup last week and they worked great plus tasted good too..

I will be making a cake in a week and need some help regarding the fondant.
After I buttercream it or cover in ganache I plan on covering in fondant to give it that smooth finish.

I have found lots of fondant recipes but am not sure why no one uses the simple chocolate & light  corn syrup one for covering? Is there a reason for this? I must be missing something..

If someone can shed some light on this that'd be great!

9 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 10

What you are referring to as fondant is what most people on here refer to as "modelling chocolate" or "candy clay". Your modelling chocolate will dry much firmer than fondant would, which is why most people use it for modelling figures. There are people that use it to cover cakes though....just not as many that use fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 10

Exactly. Chocolate and corn syrup simply is not fondant. And candy clay dries pretty firm on a cake. It would be harder to cut the slices.

scooteruk Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 10

Aha! That makes sense..

Thanks for your help, I'll try and find a recipe for chocolate fondant for icing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 10

I've never tried it myself, but I have heard that you can mix modeling chocolate with fondant.

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 10

I have not made modeling chocolate. Would you be kind enough to share the recipe you use since it is so successful for your roses?
Thank you in advance.

scooteruk Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenelli

I have not made modeling chocolate. Would you be kind enough to share the recipe you use since it is so successful for your roses?
Thank you in advance.

Hi

I found this which I found extremely useful and has step by step instructions -

http://www.bakingobsession.com/2008/05/27/chocolate-plastic-roses/

Hope that helps

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 10

LOVE that tute! Thanks!!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've never tried it myself, but I have heard that you can mix modeling chocolate with fondant.

I used fondant mixed 50/50 with candy clay on this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2050053

When I did the kayak, the house was cool and dry and it worked like a dream to roll and cover the RKT. By the time I did the dock which was all cake, the house was hot and humid and the 50/50 mix turned into a nightmare to work with. I would definitely do it again, but not when its hot and humid. Alternately, I might use it under those conditions once I get enough practice to work quickly enough to get it done before the mix gets too soft from over working. People loved the flavor of the mix though. I used it because I wanted a wood grain effect on the dock so I mixed up a dark chocolate, a light chocolate and a vanilla and blended each with one third of my fondant. For the kayak, I used a vanilla candy clay and colored the fondant before I mixed it with the candy clay.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 10

Hi, I used a white chocolate recipe I got from baking arts and covered a cake. Turned out really pretty. It also had chocolate roses. I don't have it posted yet.

Scooteruk; I'll pull the recipe and post it for you. I'll also post the picture so you can see it. I made the cake for a wedding shower and the bride didn't like fondant but wanted the fondant look. (I'm at work, but I'll do this when I get home)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%