Pearl Molds

Decorating By ebwmom Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 12:02pm by Texas_Rose

ebwmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebwmom Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:37am
post #1 of 6

I would like to try to make the fondant pearls from the molds and I was wondering if they are easy to use. Is there a link that shows how to mold them? I am having trouble using the little zig zag ribbon on the wilton mold so not sure if I can tackle it.

5 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure what the zig zag ribbon on the mold is. apply some veg. shortening lightly inside the mold and place the fondant/gumpaste in the mold , press, and cut off excess. place in the freezer for 20 minutes and when you open the mold gently take the pearls off. there is a tutorial on the internet

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #4 of 6

If you are talking about the new Wilton molds, I used the pearl mold on this cake last week:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2049430

It was REALLY easy. I used fondant and rolled out a snake and pressed it in the mold. Then I removed the excess and rolled back the edge of the mold just enough to grab the end of the pearls and pulled them up and out. They were PERFECT! That's how I did it, but I have no idea how you are supposed to do it properly.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:48am
post #5 of 6

Edna's tutorial:

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 6

I have those new Wilton molds. Dust the mold with cornstarch (or for the pearls, with super pearl), roll a thin snake of fondant, press it into the mold firmly, rub your fingers along the edges to make sure you don't have any overlap, then bend the mold a little bit so you can pull out the molded piece.

You might need to practice a couple times to get used to how much fondant the mold needs. It's a lot easier if you don't put too much in. I noticed though that if you put a bunch of little pieces into the pearl mold to fill it up, you end up with lines on the pearls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%