How Do You Make Nice Lettering?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 13 Mar 2012 , 4:11pm by BuffytheBakingSlayer

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:55am
post #1 of 8

I am working on a book cake and I'm having a hard time making the lettering on the spine look good. I tried using stamps dipped in gold and wasn't happy with that, so I tried stamping first, then painting in the gold with a small brush...and I'm not really liking that either. I'm not talented or steady enough to freehand the lettering, so that's not an option. Are there any really small letter stencils out there anywhere...or anything else I can try? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

7 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:09am
post #2 of 8

How about printing it like you would aee it on a book spine, reverse the imGe and doing a bcft?

thecakestand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestand Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:15am
post #3 of 8

Maybe you could try making the letters with royal icing. You can print the font the style and size you need, put the wax paper over the paper then trace it. After it dries you can paint it the color you need it.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks thecakestand & 2txmedics thumbs_up.gif

I had to go ahead and just redo another one with the stamps for now. I just tried not to imprint (embed) it so much and it went a little better. Still not the quality of workmanship I aim for...but, I had to get it done. It is a free cake for one of my husbands coworkers, so not like I have a paying customer to please. I will try your methods in the future icon_smile.gif Getting ready to post the pic now.

KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakestand

Maybe you could try making the letters with royal icing. You can print the font the style and size you need, put the wax paper over the paper then trace it. After it dries you can paint it the color you need it.

how would you attach that to the fondant spine though after it dries?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLs3784

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakestand

how would you attach that to the fondant spine though after it dries?

I would affix it with a dab of RI. Maybe a 1 or 2 tip.

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 8

I am a beginner. My freehand was just terrible - too cramped and usually spaced poorly in my opinion. I found it helpful to use the pin prick method. This was shared by another cc'er and it really helped me.

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 8

What is the pin prick method?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%