So I Chickened Out!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 6:52pm by Wing-Ding

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:26am
post #1 of 7

I had posted a week or two ago about using my Caljava cake study to make my little guy's cake ... he was turning 8 years old, and had drawn a very detailed sketch of exactly what he wanted, using the Caljava stand (I made a Mickey Mouse cake for his brother a couple of years ago with that stand, but it was an indoors party as opposed to my munchkin's pool party). I'll post my son's drawing in a bit ... anyhow!
I got an encouraging word or two, and some very talented cakers posted their pics as well. However, given the 102 degree weather, I'm SO grateful I decided to go with my straightforward SPS system! Cake held up GREAT, but I'm afraid of what might have happened otherwise. One of my snakes lost its head just before the cake cutting (RKT glued on with chocolate - should have known better!), but it was literally JUST before the cutting, so it was fine.

Here's the finished product!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2053946/

Thanks CC for your wonderful (and so helpful!) community!

6 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:43am
post #2 of 7

Great job!! It's hard to know what cake will do in different weather so if you weren't comfortable with it, it was probably better to stay on the safe side! Looks awesome!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 7

Awesome cake thumbs_up.gif

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:14am
post #4 of 7

I love all the colors on this cake!

emiyeric Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks, guys! I keep forgetting to post a picture of my son's original design ... will do so here shortly ...

emiyeric Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 7

So here's my son's original design for what he wanted for his cake. He was using the CalJava cake study in his design, and my interpretation of it is to the right. Obviously, I ultimately scrapped tat idea, and adapted it using SPS. SO happy I did, I know that sucker would have slid right off in that heat! There's only so much ganache can take! icon_smile.gif Thanks for looking!

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 7

Love the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%