Snow White Butter Cream And Humidity?

Baking By KimErskine Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm by KimErskine

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing a 50th wedding anniversary cake for June 18th. It has gotten very humid up here and I was wondering how well the Snow White Butter cream does with the humidity? They want the Old School type wedding cake style so I don't want to do fondant.

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:36am
post #2 of 3

There should be no problem with humidity, except that it might not crust like it should. But as far as it changing color or consistency, it won't. Since I associate extreme humidity with extreme heat, I'll also tell you that, since Snow White Buttercream (the Wilton one, anyway) is made with shortening and has no butter in it, it will stand up to the heat a lot better, too. I live in a very hot and humid place, and I've used it with no problems. If you're going to do a lot of piping with it and your hands tend to heat up the piping bag, there are several things you can do: wear cotton gloves when you work, rinse your hands in cool water every so often or use the icing plug method - put your buttercream in several different small cones which you can put in and take out of your piping bag. You can switch them out so that a few can be cooling while you're using the others.

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 3

TY Marianna46, you were a BIG help...icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%