Selling Cupcakes/push Pops At Outdoor Market

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 3:03pm by MariaK38

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 20

Hi! Just got word that I can sell my cake pushpops at an outdoor festival in June, July, and September. I use indydebi's buttercream recipe, so no butter. But it gets pretty hot and humid here, and I'm concerned. I will be under a basic canopy, but it will still be hot.

My main display is a big tower that fits 51 pushpops. I'm not sure if I should set that up or not because of the heat (and just keep most of the pops in a cooler), but I hate not to because it really tends to draw people in. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the condensation from the cooler will make them look icky.

Any ideas to still have a nice display that draws people in but keep the pushpops fresh and yummy?

Here's a link for pictures... couldn't get any to post. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=214341538590238&set=a.214341458590246.59844.214336721924053&type=1&theater

19 replies
zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 20

I would make display ones to have out to draw the people in and then keep the ones your selling in a cooler so they don't get nasty.

condensation on a hot day shouldn't be a turn off. icon_surprised.gif)

HomemadeUpgrade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomemadeUpgrade Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 20

I also sell these. icon_smile.gif My first market day (farmers market) is Saturday. I will let you know how it goes. I also use IndyDeb's buttercream. I sell cupcakes and "cake shooters".

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 20

Are you using mini cupcakes or cake rounds? I've made the push pops and just hate making them.

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 20

I make a sheet cake and then cut the pieces of cake with a piece of the push pop container (the bottom that the treat sits in).

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 20

What the heck are pushpops!? Is there a link on how to make them? Are they like the cakeballs on sticks? They sound like so much fun!?

I have done the outdoor markets before and found that if it is really hot, my buttercream on my cupcakes tend to melt. I don't like to chance it, so I ususally avoid outdoor venues. Again, I don't know what pushpops are, but I think your best bet is zoraya's suggestion.

Good luck!

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 20

Do those containers actually 'push up'? I'm a bit amazed by this...I've seen the cake in the jars, etc., but I have never actually tried to make them. Do you mind sharing the directions on how to do it?

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 20

Yes, they are containers for ice cream treats and they have a stick. Here is a better photo:

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.236700857.jpg

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 20

As for how to do it, I just take the bottom disc part (that the treats sit on) and cut out cake rounds. Then I layer cake, frosting, topping, etc up to the top. Pop the lid on and they are done. They are really quite easy and a huge hit with my customers.

MariaK38 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:44am
post #11 of 20

thanks everyone! I'm in the middle of "testing" the best way to keep my pushpops fresh. I have some in a cooler on my front porch, and it's 90 and humid today! icon_smile.gif I also have some in the freezer and some in the fridge to see how they do and if they last longer in the cooler, and if when they defrost, they still taste good. It's a cake pushpop laboratory around here!

Thanks, homemadeupgrade... I'd love to know how it works out for you this weekend! Good luck at your market, I hope you sell lots!

I use cake rounds because I just think they look better. It takes a little extra time, but it's so worth it in the end. I use the extra bits of cake to make cake pops (some I sell, most I give away).
Thanks again!

sugarrush74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarrush74 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:03am
post #12 of 20

Those push pops are awseome!!!! Where do you buy the containers?

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:17am
post #13 of 20

Awesome. where did you purchase them?

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 1:18am
post #14 of 20

Forgot to ask. how much do you charge for a pushpop?

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #15 of 20

I buy in bulk from here:

http://www.martellatousa.com/product.jhtm?id=638&cid=22

My friend also sells them on Etsy in smaller batches. Simply Claudine is her name. icon_smile.gif

I charge $2.50 each.

MariaK38 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:44pm
post #16 of 20

$2.50 for me too.
so far, the experimenting is working well, although the humidity suddenly disappeared today and it's not quite as hot. they've been sitting on my back deck for the last 5.5 hours and they look great! the only thing that went wrong is the peanut butter cups started melting a tiny bit about 4 hours in. So I think making a sample of each flavor and keeping the rest in coolers might work.
Thanks for all the help!

Marthastw2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marthastw2 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 20

Can someone tell me how you transfer these? I've read you can't insert the sticks after the cup is filled. Is that true? Just wondering how to store them or transfer hands to customers if they're already on a stick. Thanks in advance!

MariaK38 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 20

yes, that's true. the stick attaches to a little disc type thingie and that goes in the bottom of the tube through the inside where you put the cake & icing. the actual stick never touches the food, and you just push it up a little at a time and the disc thingie pushes up the cake. sorry, it's kind of hard to explain.
there are stands that you can set them in, and they're very helpful for when you're filling them up. here's a link...

http://www.pastrychef.com/PUSH-UP-POPS_p_1817.html

as far as storing, just store them in the stand or I've put mine in freezer bags for smaller amounts and in plastic bins for larger. they're fine if you lay them down because there's a lid on them.
and you can just hand them to your customer, they're very portable.

Marthastw2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marthastw2 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks Maria!
I'm going to sell mine in a min of 1 dz. And unfortunately, I just assumed you could attach the stick just before you're about to eat them. So now I'm wondering how to give a customer at least 12 of them, without being able to "box" them up, lay them down, or have them rent a stand. I guess the only way to go is a pail of some sort. And hopefully I can find and economical option that won't drive cost up too much!

MariaK38 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:03pm
post #20 of 20

sounds good!
I've laid mine down in cake boxes of different sizes for delivery and it worked out fine. for display, though, there definitely needs to be an economical idea, just haven't found it yet! icon_smile.gif Try Target for the pails at their $1 spot at the front of the store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%